pinpointing rat entrance point in attached house

Old 01-22-05, 10:04 AM
brooklyn2005
Visiting Guest
pinpointing rat entrance point in attached house

My husband and I bought a great old home in Brooklyn last year. Unfortunately it is in a rat-heavy area - due to conditions beyond our control (abandoned buildings mostly). So for we have successfully rat-proofed and cleaned up our attached garage and a back room in the finished basement by locating and closing entrance points and holes in pipes and then rehanging drywall with new insulation. Many months have passed with no problems but much to our horror we heard another rat in the ceiling of our bedroom on the second floor last night - a place we couldn't imagine they'd get to! My question is how to proceed. The house is attached on one side and I wouldn't be surprised if there is a rat problem in the building next door. So I would guess it got in from that side. Before we rip out all the walls in our bedroom and stairwell on that side is there a way to pinpoint the problem or narrow it down? Should we wait and make sure it is a continual problem? This area of the house was newly renovated before we bought and it seems a shame to just starting tearing it all down "needle in a haystack-style." However - we can't have rats running around in there. Any suggestions?

Old 01-24-05, 03:51 PM
T
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Rat in ceiling

Do you have ceiling access which would enable you to inspect and seal any openings into your structure? If not, perhaps you could cut a ceiling access so you can inspect the area, seal openings, and trap.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: