Supermouse?

Old 02-02-05, 07:19 PM
Shanen
Visiting Guest
Supermouse?

So I started having a mouse problem back in early December.

It started out with hearing crunching sounds and popcorn disppearing off the floor. It was funny at first until I found mouse droppings on my kitchen counter and table.

Went away for Christmas, leaving my landlords notice of the mouse porblem, HOPING they could get rid of it in the three weeks I was gone.

Come back. Mouse still here. Clean up lots of mouse poop.

Caught one in a pizza box (3 am. Half asleep. Open Box. See mouse. freak) I then threw the box very far outside and thought it was gone.

Was wrong.

Mouse #2 (I know if was a different mouse because the first was black, and this one was grey)

Got rid of it after finding it in my bag of garbage.

Now I'm onto either #3 or I got a LOT of them.

So I have a no-kill trap. Baited with peanut butter. Nothing. Got multiple feeding poison. It loves the stuff, throws it all over under my sink. Not dead yet. Also enjoys the blocks of single feed poison. Not dead. Have snap traps. Ignores them.

NO idea where the hole is. Seen it run behind the fridge, the stove, into the wall and into the heating vents. I don't know whether to think it's one or more. And I'm sick of cleaning up mouse poop.

So I have 2 questions...
1. Aren't my landlords responsible for rodent removal? I live in their house and they TOLD me to tell them if I had mice and I did, but they've done nothing. I've had the mouse for over 2 months. I'm sick of it.

2. Is there any other method of gettng rid I should try? I cna't have a cat as my landlady is allergic though I am thinking of getting cat fur. or borrowing a cat and not caring that she's allergic.Or am I at the point where I should demand my landlords call and exterminator?

I am giving serious thought to giving my 2 months notice and moving somewhere with no mice. And where I can have a cat. Mice = not fun at all.

Old 02-03-05, 04:13 PM
T
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Eliminate food sources and practice good housekeeping. Keep all food stored in containers and leave out nothing that will tempt mice. Keep all crumbs off counters and floor. Use a sealed trash can. Inspect structure inside & outside for possible entries and seal. Make sure doors & windows properly seal. Seal around pipes beneath sinks. Place snap traps (several) along walls where mice tend to travel. Baits and poisons are not recommended indoors because mice may die in wall or other inconspicuous place & you will have to live with the odor until it decomposes.

If you have mice in the heating vents, this is not a healthy situation. Every time the heat kicks on you will breathe mice dropping & urine. Mice can be carriers of hantavirus.

Old 02-04-05, 12:09 PM
Bugman_Tim
Visiting Guest
The big misconception you are facing is that you have one mouse. You have many more than just one mouse. You have many mice you have to deal with. I do this on a daily basis and it can be taken care of easily. If you are on the east coast you need not worry about the Hanta Virus scare that was mainly out west. I have not heard of it on the east coast really I have not heard of it east of the Rocky Mountains. Here is what I would do...placement is key in rodent control. I am talking about placement of the traps, glueboards, or bait. Mice run along the walls so if you want to be successful place your traps parallell to the walls so the mice will run into them, same with glueboards. Snaptraps place them so they snap close towards the wall, if the snap close away from the wall they can actually throw the mouse away from the trap to safety. I would try using glueboards first on the inside of the home and place them in several locations at least 10 to 15 minimum, this way you can capture the mouse and remove it without having to deal with an odor. If they do not work use a good bait, a single feed rodenticide works best, and if it appears they are not dying it is because there are more than just the one. Give it some time it will work. Forget about getting a cat, they will only play with the mice unless you are starving them, and if you are the humane society may want to talk to you about that.

I wish you all the very best.

Tim Wise

Old 02-04-05, 12:14 PM
Bugman_Tim
Visiting Guest
Also another thing that I have not seen mentioned here in any of the posts, if you are a smoker, wash your hands before you handle any of your rodent control products. Nicotene is a repellant and rodents will not go around the stuff if you have been smoking and handle this stuff, the same thing goes for petting an animal and handling the products. The oil from an animal's coat will get on the products and will also deter rodents.

If your rodent control methods seem not to be working to well this is Just some food for thought.

I wish you all the very best

Tim Wise

Old 02-04-05, 01:04 PM
T
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Most cases of Hanta Virus do occur in the southwestern states, but there have also been cases in the eastern states. Three cases have occurred in West Virginia. There have been cases reported in 36 states. Thus, there is a need to educate people outside the southwestern states about hantavirus.

Old 02-04-05, 07:29 PM
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Shanen, what everyone else is missing is yes, it should be the responsibility of the landlord to either solve the mouse problem or get a company in to take care of them. That being said, it sometimes is difficult to get the landlords to realize this. I work for a large pest control company in Canada and deal with this type of situation regularly, where the landlord does not want to take responsibility. I tell the tenants simply to tell the landlord that they're going to call the municipal public health services. 9 times out of ten when the landlord hears this you will see some action. Hey, if this it what it takes, well then do it!!

If you're looking to do the trapping yourself, everyone here makes great suggestions to do it yourself remedies. I especially like the snap traps, personally. What are you using for bait on the snap traps? I find that sometimes with mice, you're better off to load them with peanut butter (unset) for a couple of days, until you're sure they're feeding on them. When you're finding that they're eating the peanut butter, set the traps, they won't be able to resist. Just make sure you get enough snap traps and put them in all those places where you're seeing mice and mouse activity. The problem with most people is that they buy a couple of traps and that is it. You're going to want at least a dozen traps to make sure you're covering all you're bases.

Good luck,

Jay

P.S. Hey Tim, I've heard the same thing with mouse baits, and ant & roach baits. It's amazing how sensitive they are, eh? Me being a smoker of course, probably doesn't help things.

Old 02-09-05, 02:25 PM
Shanen
Visiting Guest
Well I do have an update.

My landlord stopped by and gave me some poison. I think this is better poison as I have not seen the mice in a few days (I've heard a couple times at night but that could be my overactive imagaination as I've found no mouse poop anywhere.) Though I think one mouse was rolling in the poison as there were indentations that looked like it had which was a little funny.

I think I can deal with the smell if they die in the walls. I'm just hoping they die in my landlords half of the house (nice of me, eh?) I haven't smelled any bad yet which is good. I just need to buy some bleach and start cleaning up the poop. Not my idea of fun.

As for the traps I had - I baited them with peanut butter! My mice don't seem to like the stuff. They didn't even take the popcorn and I *know* they love that.

But yeah. Poison is working for now. Until I can move out. Then I am getting a place with no mice. And that I can have a cat in. (MY current landlady is allergic)

THanks for all your helps. I appreciate it *very* much!

Old 02-09-05, 09:43 PM
Aris
Visiting Guest
Hi all!
I have a similar problem with one (?) mouse for two weeks now.

I bought blocks of poisson but they seem intact to me. Placed few glue traps and several snap traps but non worked yet. The mouse is roaming the house (behind the fridge, the stove and TV, in the den and the utility closet). On Sunday I checked all my food supplies and they are intact.

Two days ago i realized there was old d-con boxes behind the fridge and stove, probably put by my landlord at least 1.5 years ago. It was scattered all over the place, and i think probably my mouse was feeding on the stuff.

Today I've seen the mouse go around the traps. I changed the peanut butter with cheese and moved the traps to a new possition hopping it will eat that and get caught.

Tomorrow I will buy some fresh d-con and seal of the cracks i've seen in the utility closet wall with polyurethane foam.

Here are my questions:
1 - Could d-con expire and the poisson does not work anymore?
2 - Could it feed to another place (appartment above or RESTAURANT below) and visit our appartment for other purposes? Maybe nest here?
3 - Why does it ignore the traps?

Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated!!!

Aris
Philly, PA

Old 02-14-05, 05:18 PM
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Hi Aris, you should've really started a fresh topic but that's o.k. I can't believe that the mice are avoiding your snap traps. Sometimes it all depends on how and where they are being placed.

If you're not doing so already you need to place them in a way so that the trigger end of the trap is against the wall. The places you speak of - behind the fridge, stove are pretty common places for mice to run. I would place a couple of snap traps behind each of these appliances. Also are the mice active under you're kitchen sink? This is another common place for them. I would stick to using peanut butter on the traps as sometimes they'll just steal cheese off the trap without setting it off. Just make sure you have enough snap traps around and you should be able to catch them. Last house I used snap traps in, I think I used around 25 of them. This may sound a little overboard, but believe me, the more you use, the better the results.

If you have a restaurant below you, I'm sure the mice have found the place. I'm hoping they have a pest control company coming in to do service for them too. Otherwise it could be a losing battle for you.

As for the d-con, I've never heard of it. I do know that rodent poison will expire eventually. Nothing lasts forever.

Good luck man,

Jay

Old 02-15-05, 11:26 PM
Aris
Visiting Guest
Jay hi and thanks for the advice.
Finally, it started feeding from the snaptraps but have not triggered them yet. I will stick with the peanut butter and place some behind the fridge and on the countertop where I've seen it roam. Check with the restaurant owner also.
I will keep you posted with any progress!
Aris

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: