mouse infestation in my stove


  #1  
Old 01-31-05, 07:56 PM
jivejimmy
Visiting Guest
Posts: n/a
Post mouse infestation in my stove

This may sound wierd but I am dead serious. I recently discovered that mice have been stealing the dog's food and storing it in the insulation layer between the stove top and the oven. When the smell of burning dog food became overwhelming, I took the stove apart and discovered the burnt remains. Since the dis-assembly and cleaning were so odious and time consuming, I then plugged any orifice I could find that would hopefully prevent a reoccurance. My question is, will plugging these holes at the bottom and back of the stove cause it to overheat or store up dangerous fumes like carbon monoxide? The stove is a four yuear old Sears with electronic ignition. Thanks for any input.

Jivejimmy
 
  #2  
Old 01-31-05, 08:14 PM
Sharp Advice's Avatar
Admin Emeritus
Join Date: Feb 1998
Location: The Shake and Bake State USA
Posts: 10,398
Likes: 0
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Hello Jimmy and Welcome to the Do It Yourself Web Site and my Gas Appliances topic.

The answer is yes. Blocking the intake air vents will cause serious problems. Both the the appliance and to the exhausted fumes. A lack of proper air flow will cause the burner flames to produce excessive amounts of carbon monoxides and soots. Very serious situation and condition.

Best bet is to rid the areas of the mice. No try to block the air vents. I'll move your question into the indoor pest control topic. Very likely the professional in that topic can provide you with additional help. Also take a few minutes and the existing questions and the replies already posted to the questions on the subjects of mice control. Very likely to find the answer(s)

Use the reply button to add additional information or questions. Using this method moves the topic back up to the top of the list automatically.

Web Site Host, Forums Monitor, Gas Appliances Topic Moderator & Multiple Forums Moderator. Energy Conservation Consultant & Natural Gas Appliance Diagnostics and Repair Technician.

Personal Safety Reminder:
Buckle Up & Drive Safely.
"The Life You Save, May Be Your Own."
 
  #3  
Old 02-02-05, 12:06 AM
Bugman_Tim
Visiting Guest
Posts: n/a
Hey Jimmy, the best thing to do is to store your dog food in sealed containers so the mice cannotget into them, or to place them off the floor on higher tables away from any walls, making it more difficult for the mice to get into them. Note I did not say making it impossible, I said making it more difficult, they can still get into the food if all you do is place it up high and away from the walls, but here is what it will do for you. By doing that it will confuse the mice and they will start looking for the dog food again, you will have the opportunity to place out some rodent bait and hopefully they will find the bait and start eating on it and forget about the dog food and will be eliminated that way. The other thing you need to do is to try and find the areas they are gaining entrance into your home and seal those areas up. A mouse can get in a round opening the size of a dime and even a little smaller, they can get into a slot just a little larger than a quarter inch, so they do not need a large area to get in. When you go to seal them out DO NOT use that expanding foam rodents can go thru that stuff like a hot knife thru butter. Use stainless steel scouring pads, they work the best. Mice cannot eat thru them. Stuff the holes full with the scouring pads and then if you want to for the extra insulation add the expanding foam into the stainless steel, but do not use it alone. Once you so this you should have eliminated your problem and the mice should be out of your stove.

I hope this helps.

I wish you all the very best.

Tim Wise
 

Last edited by twelvepole; 02-03-05 at 07:17 PM. Reason: Posted links to websites for commercial gain
  #4  
Old 02-02-05, 08:46 AM
Join Date: May 2003
Location: minnesota
Posts: 93
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bugman is right, but I would like to ad some things. Do not just get rid of the dog food, but if you have other food sources like open water or too many crumbs, you will need to get rid of that. The mice will just stockpile the bait if they have another food source. You need to make the bait their only food available. Also, in my experience finding where mice are entering a structure is difficult, time consuming, and a major headache. Concentrate more on getting rid of the ones in your house out, then keeping the ones out from getting in. You have pets, but if you have children present make sure the bait is contained in locked boxes placed out of the reach of children or pets. Make sure you read the labels throroughly on any chemical you use, it will explain everything. One place to use bait is underneath cabinet voids if possible or by pipes coming up under kitchen sink. Place bait in corners or on walls, since mice rund against walls and stop at corners. You will need to assess your mice problem. If you are seeing droppings everyday or so, or seeing the mice during the day, the problem is going to need bait. If you barely see them or the droppings are scarce, sticky traps might be possible. Mice reproduce rapidly though, so in most cases traps are going to control the problem and not rid it. Also, your attic might be a hotbed. They "swisscheese" out the insulation and nest in it. Baiting in the attic will probably be necessary. Any other help needed let me know-Rick
 
  #5  
Old 02-02-05, 02:20 PM
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Ontario, Canada
Posts: 131
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Both you guys give good suggestions, but I would not give up on snap traps so soon. There are some people dead set against bait. For me doing service at someones home, maybe snap traps are not the way to go. Especially because I do not want to be back for daily visits. But for someone trapping mice themselves in thier own home it can be done. You just have to make sure you place out enough traps and check/empty them every day. Mind you, if your house is loaded with mice this process may take months. Also be sure to place them in areas that are going to be innaccessible to children/pets. Use peanut butter for bait - they are suckers for that stuff. Snap traps are cheap enough that you can just throw them away when a mouse gets caught - if you want. This will avoid having dead mice around your home - smell or no smell. But they are definitely good to re-use. Be sure to place snap traps along walls where the mice travel, with the trigger part of the trap against the wall.

I get a lot of bad remarks about the glue traps. I love them personally, but many people don't want to see or hear a mouse wiggling and squeaking on a glueboard.

Good luck Jimmy
 
 

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
 
Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: