Mouse problem


  #1  
Old 02-04-05, 07:20 PM
jivejimmy
Visiting Guest
Posts: n/a
Post Mouse problem

When my Sears gas range began to smell recently, I took it apart and discovered that mice had been stealing the dog's food and storing it in the insulation between the oven and the top burners. After using the oven and cleaning the oven, the dog food began to burn and left the most unpleasant of odors. I cleared it all out, scrubbed all parts, and stuffed steel wool into every crevice I could find that would allow a mouse to get back in there. My question is, by plugging the holes on the bottom and back, am I leaving myself vulnerable to either a fire or carbon monoxide due to inadequate venting? I left the vent passages open but I'm not comfortable to make this call on my own.

Now that a couple of days have past, the smell is still there. I think the insulation has retained the burned dog-food smell. Can I just throw it all out or does it have to be replaced?

Jivejimmy
 
  #2  
Old 02-06-05, 06:35 PM
P
Group Moderator
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: NC, USA
Posts: 28,584
Received 1,707 Upvotes on 1,525 Posts
Depending on your stove/oven some of those holes may be needed for ventilation. I would focus on getting the mice out of your house and worry less about plugging the holes in your stove. If you plug the stove holes the mice will move to your dishwasher, fridge, cabinets, sofa.... Start sealing holes in the perimeter of your house and set some traps and set out rat/mouse poison.
 
  #3  
Old 02-07-05, 07:34 PM
jivejimmy
Visiting Guest
Posts: n/a
More Mouse Musings

Thanks for the reply. I have tried plugging holes in the house perimeter, setting traps, and still the mice come. I have only plugged holes in the bottom rail of the stove and the very low back panel where the gas and electric lines comes in. Both of these are only about 10" or less off the ground. There is another 8-10 inches of open back to where the venting section begins. If you have a thought on the insulation question I'd like to hear it. I have chased the mice out of cupboards, closets, and unused shoes. Living in the woods in an older home has its drawbacks.

Jivejimmy
 
  #4  
Old 02-07-05, 09:24 PM
Sharp Advice's Avatar
Admin Emeritus
Join Date: Feb 1998
Location: The Shake and Bake State USA
Posts: 10,398
Upvotes: 0
Received 5 Upvotes on 4 Posts
Hello: Jivejimmy

Try a totally different approach. Those you have done or are considering doing are not working and not likely to work. So you need to investigate different methods.

Living in any wooded area is far different the many other areas. Kind of like camping in a tent. Can't leave food around. Attracts bears, etc.

The mice are not comming into the house to get into the oven, cupboards, cabinets etc. They are comming in for food. Period. Remove the dog food, etc as soon as the pets are done eating and leave none around or in any unsealed container. Once that source is gone, most likely are the mice. Not a perfect solution or the cure to the problem but worth a try.

This forum deals with gas appliances. More likely to obtain an answer to the rodent problem in the indoor pest control forum topic. I'll move the question there and let those pros help you further.
 
 

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
 
Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: