squirrels in my house

Old 02-23-05, 05:15 PM
NutsNbolts
Visiting Guest
squirrels in my house

anyone one know a good way to catch these critters? I got a trap but it doesn't seem to work. what's another way to do this.

Old 02-23-05, 05:37 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
NutsNbolts, those squirrells sure can be a pain in the @$$. It would be cool to get a bit more info from you. Are you talking about them up in your attic? Are you currently using a cage trap for them? What kind of bait are you using in the trap?

Even if you do catch the little guy, you still have to look at where it got in in the first place. If you don't repair this area, chances are that this problem will happen again. So a little inspection work is needed. Look for holes or gaps in soffit/facia areas, as these seem to be usual areas for animal entry into attics.

I've had success catching squirrels with peanut butter in a Havahart cage trap.

I would look after this ASAP as I believe squirrels will be having young soon. This is probably what this little critter is looking for, a good nesting site.

Good luck,

Jay

Old 02-23-05, 05:43 PM
Hi nutsNbolts,
Welcome to the DIY Forums.
You might try 2 traps.
Look around your home and seal ALL except 2 points of entry, one on either side of the house. The squirrels will escape to the only 2 openings,hopefully covered by the traps. Squirrels can gain entry to your home by very small openings so make sure you look very good for ALL of them. Make sure you check your homes interior for any young. If you trap the parent they will chew through hardwood siding to get to their young. After you are sure you have captured all the invaders, seal up those last 2 openings.
Make sure there is no foods that squirrels like laying around. This includes bird seed, garden seed, dog food, cat food......

Good luck with your project and reply back if you have further questions.

Old 02-24-05, 09:24 PM
NutsNbolts
Visiting Guest
Well we were redoing our roof so we sealed up all the whole so now I think think there are 2 trapped inside. But the may have a stash of food. I tried one trap with bread and peanutbutter but for some reason the little guys don't seem to want to get caught.

Do I need 2 traps?

Old 02-25-05, 04:33 PM
Nutsnbolts, technically, 2 traps would be better than one. If they do have a cache of food they are using, then you may not be able to get her in a cage trap. Let me ask you a question, have you been up in the attic for a thorough inspection? If not, I think that would be your best bet. Get up there with your flashlight and have a good look around and see if you can find any food debris they might have stashed up there.

If you sealed all the area up, you may be in for more trouble. If they are trapped up there, either 1) they may find a way of tearing an opening, or 2) you may find some dead squirrels up there eventually.

It may just take more time, it's only been a couple of days since your original post, so I would say keep the cage traps up there with peanut butter inside and hopefully in the next couple of days you find a critter in one of them. Be sure to have a look in the traps daily to prevent having a dead squirrel in there.

Good luck man, I know you're anxious to get some action. Let us know how it goes.

Jay

Old 02-27-05, 10:06 AM
NutsNbolts
Visiting Guest
ok thanks I will try the 2 traps. But it's been more than 3 months now and the rodents are not dead. I don't know how they do it.

Old 02-27-05, 04:11 PM
If its been that long and they are still alive,

1 They have found a way in and out of the home to forage for food.

2 They have found a way to access food within your home.

This will take some serious searching to find either the in/out route or where they are getting food.

You will have to make sure ALL food sources are removed or placed into sealed containers.
Sit outside and watch for exits or entrances and seal when found.
Place the traps in areas where they will find them and use a really tasty squirrel bait. Birdseed,dried corn on the cob,peanut butter etc... all work to attract squirrels. If all baits fail call your county extension to find out what works best.

Squirrels can do major damage to your homes electricial wires as they eat the insulation off. Search diligently for ANY places they can get in or out.

Good luck

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: