Stinky dead mouse...how long?

Old 02-28-05, 06:27 AM
C
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Stinky dead mouse...how long?

Long story short...mouse ran down heating duct and we hope/think it died after two days. The wife says it stinks something awful. Is this toxic or bad for the baby's room? Or is it just something we have to live with for a few days and light a candle?

Old 02-28-05, 05:33 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Coopns, man that stinks. Sorry - bad joke.

I find that usually a dead mouse smell will be gone within a week. However, a dead mouse could lead to secondary insect problems. Larder beetles and flies would love to find that mouse wherever it may be.

Is there any way to get to the ductwork and try to find it. Especially in a baby's room, the least likely place you would want the smell going. Is it toxic, I don't think so(but don't quote me), but it reeks like hell. If it was my place, I'd be trying to find that mouse. Depending on the layout of your home the dead mouse would be found at the lowest point in the ductwork, probably in the basement. When I'm searching for a dead mouse I let my nose do the work. It's a dirty job, but somebody's got to do it.

I think more importantly if you haven't found where the mouse came in from, find the entry point and seal it up. The best solution for mouse problems is exclusion, so you don't get stuck with this scenario again.

Good luck man, you're gonna need it.

Jay

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: