Contaminated insulation from mice

Old 03-01-05, 07:40 PM
S
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Contaminated insulation from mice

I have persistent mouse problems in my attic in a two-storey house. I thought I had solved the problem a few years ago with baits and steel wool etc. This winter it started again. The running and scratching of mice over the bedrooms at night (sometimes during the day). I am having new siding, eaves, soffit and fascia installed on the house in the spring and I will be militant about the installers sealing it up tight. Assuming this works for the entry points how do you clean up and disinfect the attic where there is R40 blown-in fiberglass insulation up to your knees? Is it contaminated forever? Should I get it removed, disinfected and reinstalled? My wife and I are sick of this problem and are concerned about mice causing a fire by eating through wires up there. I have two young children who aren't aware of this problem yet and we are concerned for their safety as well.

Old 03-01-05, 09:47 PM
T
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Contaminated Insulation

Contaminated insulation should be removed. Go to this site for helpful information about hantavirus and clean up procedures: [url]www.cdc.gov/ncidod/diseases/hanta/hps_stc/stc_spot.htm Copy and paste the link into your Address line.

Avoid breathing any dust during cleanup. Wear respiratory protection and protective clothing and rubber gloves. Insulation should be bagged before removal from attic to avoid getting dust inside the home. Dead rodents should be sprayed with bleach/water solution and removed and bagged. Do not vacuum droppings to avoid getting dust in area. Spray affected areas with bleach/water solution to wet down droppings. Pick up droppings with paper towels and place in plastic bag. Once droppings have been removed, go back and spray again with bleach/water solution. Wash hands. Remove clothing and wash in disinfectant.

Old 03-02-05, 03:01 PM
sickofmice,

I would just like to add to avoid problems like this in the future, walk around your home and thoroughly inspect any areas where mice may be getting in. You said they reappeared this winter in the attic - this tells me that they gained an entrance way into your house sometime when the weather got colder. This means that there is an opening for them somewhere you have to find. Check all areas where wires/pipes enter the house. Do you have a garage attached to the house? Is the door seal in good shape. I find through garages is the most common point of entry for mice.

You can clean up the mess in the attic all you want, but you really want to find out how they are coming in, or you will be cleaning it all up again.

Good luck,

Jay

Old 03-03-05, 02:24 PM
S
Solution

Thank you for the replies. I' ve had negative experiences with 2 pest control companies (both large franchise operations) who both came here and layed some traps in the house (when I insisted there were no mice in the living areas) they stuck their heads in the attic hatch and threw those green blocks of bait all around. Thanks I could have done that. I need to find out what type of company I can call who would be willing to remove all the insulation and disinfect the area. Do you think an insulation company would at least remove the insulation knowing that there is a mouse problem? I can probably disinfect the area myself. Maybe once the insulation is gone I could find how they are getting in there. Is it true that black lights can locate mouse urine?

Old 03-03-05, 02:27 PM
T
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
A full-service pest company usually offers clean-up of infestations and exclusion services. Check your Yellow Pages and make some calls.

Old 03-03-05, 02:40 PM
sickofmice,

Quote:

Is it true that black lights can locate mouse urine?

Yes that is true. Blacklight will light up many substances/things and mouse urine is definitely one of them.

Too bad you had some negative experiences with some companies, that doesn't look too good for the rest of us. However, a company's only as good as the technician representing them. Maybe you've had a couple of lazy techs come out, that's all.

Jay

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: