Roaches

Old 03-09-05, 06:06 PM
J
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Roaches

Hi,

I posted a bit earlier with a roach i.d. question. I took my "specimens" to an entomologist who works for a local pest control company, and he said they are oriental roach nymphs.

He then told me that I should pour Clorox bleach down all my drains, and repeat every 3 days, backing off to weekly, and that may control the problem. My husband told the apartment manager here, and she said that their pest control company would just say do the same thing.

I thought I'd at least do the bleach, and maybe get some boric acid powder for around the outside of the drainpipes, under appliances, etc.

Is bleach all that effective? and, if we're seeing them on the second floor in 2 different nymph stages, does that mean there is some large population building on the first floor or boiler room?

thanks for any info.

Old 03-09-05, 07:35 PM
Hi jhouse, I remember your post. I thought they may have been wood roaches or brown banded based on your description. I'm glad you had them properly identified. As far as the treatment goes, they are kind of right. Yes to the fact that these type of roaches are commonly found in moist areas(drains, basements, etc.) Just applying bleach down the drain however may give you a temporary solution. These insect can live off the gunk and debris that may be present in the drains themselves. I would think that cleaning the drains with draino or something to that effect would give you a little better control. Bleach may kill the ones it comes into contact with, but will probably not do a whole lot as far as cleaning the drains themselves.

Technically what would be best is an integrated control approach. Find out exactly where or what drain they are coming from. Is it possible to buy some glueboards or "sticky traps" and place them around in different rooms in the apartment? Check them periodically and see which ones are catching these roaches. This will give you a better idea of where the source of the problem lies, and then subsequently you could treat those areas.

Please post if you have any other questions.

Good luck,

Jay

Old 03-10-05, 12:15 PM
J
thanks Jay!

It's a lot like detective work. Yes, I can certainly buy the sticky traps and monitor that. I've plugged all the drains while not in use, caulked around the bedroom window screen that was gappy and also around the a/c unit (which has house sparrows living on it, wonder if the droppings are an attractant?) with caulking putty, sealed up an attic access door in the closet. . .as well as putting all food into sealed containers.

No roach sightings now for 3 days or so, and boy have we been looking for them. I bought boric acid powder to put around any spaces where drains/pipes come in, and under appliances & cabinets.. . .even caulked around the electrical outlets. The manager was quite startled when we told her, and she said she'd tell the bug guys when they come on the 22nd--good news that they have a contract, apparently, with a company. I'd be interested to talk to them and find out what they're using.

oh, and we noticed a white pipe in the ground, maybe 10 inches in diameter, which is maybe 30 yards from the apartment, with the top sort of broken off. If it's some kind of water or sewage pipe, maybe that's a source. I read that the Orientals aren't good climbers, but the outer walls are rough brick and would give them lots of "grip", I guess.

I'll keep you posted, maybe it'll help someone else with the same problem.

Old 03-18-05, 08:41 AM
scooter028
Visiting Guest
Same thing

I've also got oriental cockroaches in my apartment building.
I've been sprayed 3 times by the management, but that doesn't seem to do anything.
I filled EVERY hole i could find in the apartment, made a perimeter with boric acid powder and put sticky traps and combat large roach traps everywhere. I even had a professional come in with spray and some kind of pellets. I have radiator heat and it seems that they come up those pipes as well. So I pulled up the carpet around the heaters and used spray insulator foam to seal the corners. ( I may be overreacting, but I can't stand the thought of having these things crawling around my apartment!)
Then after all this, they started crawling up my walls! I guess they are avoiding the poisons, but I didn't think they would ever crawl up my walls. Is that normal? I'm concerned that I have not seen any in the traps. Only live ones in the bathroom and on my wall.
I'm not infested, but I am worried about what will happen in the summer months even after doing all of this work. All of my immediate neighbors have them in their apartments as well and have been sprayed by a professional exterminator monthly. Should I be concerned with their persistence?

Old 03-18-05, 03:19 PM
scooter028,

Because Orientals like to live in drains, pipes, moist areas like that, the pro's just coming in and spraying apartments might not cut it. Yes, they may kill some that come out of the pipes and walk around on the sprayed areas, but they really should be looking for the source of the problem. I prefer baits for all the roach jobs I do. In my opinion, the days of spraying for roaches are long gone, at least 5 years ago. There are some really good baits on the market nowadays. Also when treating for roaches, especially in an apartment building, I've found that some tenants just don't want their unit treated. This could definitely cause problems. You want to be thorough and try to treat EVERY apartment. Hopefully your pest control guy is also inspecting the mechanical rooms as well, as this could very well be a source. Unfortunately for you, buying bait and treating yourself probably won't rid the building of these creatures, but may lessen the amount you see in your apartment.

Good luck with the battle.

Jay

Old 03-19-05, 02:45 PM
J
Scooter028,

So sorry about your problem!!

We haven't seen any more roaches at all . . the manager mentioned that they had treated the outside of the building around the time I saw the 4 or 5 I saw (2 on the walls, one high up!). I caulked around my a/c unit, and also the screen/window, so I'm thinking perhaps these guys were trying to get up & away from the treated base of the building, and I simply kept them from coming in. Do the Oriental roaches live "in the wild", wooded damp areas etc?Of the number that I saw, I know two were large, one tiny nymph & one a big larger, so there's a couple of generations going on. I don't recall off hand how long their life cycle is, but do recall something about all the adults dying off by a certain time of the year.

I'm interested in talking to the exterminator when he comes--I think they use baits, I've seen the bits of brown gluey stuff around the cabinet doors & such. At least I'll be able to mention to them to check out the boiler room.

Scooter, how did you get the carpet back down when you pulled it up to get around the radiators?

I read somewhere on the internet that some studies show that Orientals are climbing higher than they used to (guess they used to be on the first floor?), and have been found 5 floors up.

re: them climbing on your walls, is it possible they are climbing down & not up? could they come from an attic or roof area?

Old 03-21-05, 03:13 PM
scooter028
Visiting Guest
Are they gone yet?

Jhouse - how is your situation now?
After spraying in the cracks with spray foam insulator, i let it dry for about an hour so it was still a little soft but mostly firm. The stuff dries rock hard, so you want to put the carpet back down while it's still a little soft. The carpeting wasn't really properly installed under the radiators anyway, but I just tried to get the edges back under the baseboards as best as I could with a chisel.
I think the guy on my wall was climbing up and there was a sizable hole in the corner under the carpet where it could have come from.
I haven't seen any in a little over a week. However, they like to frighten me every week and a half or so!
My exterminator said he used a combination of some kind of poison and a growth inhibitor which is supposed to kill live roaches while sterilizing them so they can't reproduce. He also put down glue traps with poison and a pill on it that is supposed to be some kind of mating allure. I haven't seen any on the traps but I'm sure they would work for someone who had more roaches present.
I hear that oriental roaches are mostly outdoor insects but if they find warm and moist environments inside, they will set up shop. Hopefully I can get the management to spray outside. There are no pets allowed in the complex so hopefully that will help.
Are there specific baits or traps that work best? I guess I won't be making the mistake of living in another apartment complex again.

Old 03-21-05, 05:45 PM
scooter028,

I've had good results using Maxforce gel. It is a bait which looks like a brown gluey like substance. In Canada its available on the public market, I don't see why it wouldn't be in the U.S. You may have to visit a local pest control company to buy it.

Jay

Old 03-22-05, 08:16 AM
J
Scooter028,

I still haven't seen any bugs *at all*, since I took the specimen to the entomologist.

I found out that the management had sprayed or treated the outside of the building shortly before I saw my critters, and I definitely had gaps around my windows, so perhaps they were simply trying to escape the poison--I know they didn't seem too healthy, very sluggish.(until I sprayed them, poor things). I also just found out that the bug guy isn't coming until April, so I don't know if their plan is quarterly or what. I only hope that's frequent enough.

I spent yesterday taking the ends off the radiators, caulking & duct taping & boric acid powder-ing--what a pain. I realized that while you can caulk around the pipes, there'll always be cracks & crevices--I would be wary of an apartment situation where they didn't treat for bugs at all.

Roach Posse, is there a lot of skill involved in placing the gel baits? and, if we're only seeing a bug every couple of weeks, or once a month, does it sound like an infestation, or just the occasional Oriental coming up through a drain pipe?

Old 03-22-05, 02:28 PM
jhouse,

It sounds like you are just getting the odd one either foraging for food, or ya, trying to escape the spray. With a sighting every month or so, it doesn't sound like real bad infestation at all.

As far as the bait goes, I like to think there is some skill involved. The main course of action is investigating to see where the source of the problem is, and baiting that area. Sometimes finding the source is tough, and very time consuming. It also helps to know the biology of the insect to find out where its main habitat would be.

Jay

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: