Getting rid of moles

Old 03-23-05, 10:32 AM
A
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Getting rid of moles

After the snow has melted, I'm starting to notice a lot of the damage that was done to my lawn from moles last year.

Keeping in mind that I have two very curious dogs, how can I get rid of them (without also posing a danger to my dogs)?

Old 03-23-05, 01:15 PM
C
If you have moles, killing the food source is the best route.

from earlier posts, from Sharp Advice:

Grub worms can be controlled in two methods known to me. Would like to share them with you and others reading this thread.

Try this non chemical organic recipe method:

In a pot, about a gallon size, boil water.
While water is boiling, add in 2 cups of antiseptic mouth wash.
(Use non flavored type, if possible)
Add in 2 cups of chewing tobacco juice.
Add in 2 cups of common liquid soap.
(Not dishwashing soap) Plain liquid soap.
Add in 1 cup of household ammonia
Boil and Stir well.

Making tobacco juice:
Buy one round container of chewing tabacco, unflavored type.
Put contents into an old hanky or similar thin cloth.
In small sauce pan, fill with water.
Bring water to a boil.
Toss in hanky with tobacco.
Allow to boil 15-20 minutes.
Remove hanky and toss into trash.
Allow liquid to cool.
Use this juice to make above.
Add to above.

When all the liquid is combined, add it to a two gallon pump sprayer. Spray effected area. Water well daily for about two days. Wait and watch. Grubs should die... If grubs remain. Repeat application.

Alternate method.
Buy a commerical chemical.
Favorite brand is Attack. Others available.

Additional organic lawn, tree, garden and flower recipes can be found in the notes at the top of this forums list of questions, etc.

Hope this helps.

Old 03-29-05, 05:35 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
I found it finally...... I've tried everything from putting poison pills in the tunnels to traps... I had my best luck with my 9mm... when they move, I shoot.. get them everytime.. but now! I have the answer.... go to your local fish and tackle shop... buy a BIG bottle of WORM oil... I set the trap in front of the hole, squirt some worm oil on it and they dang near come to investigate before I'm even out of sight.. in fact, I blew it the first time and forgot to release the safety on my trap.. the knothead pushed the trap out of the ground trying to find the worms...

Old 03-29-05, 11:23 PM
wmccormick
Visiting Guest
I have moles and gophers. I have tried traps, shotgun, carmon monoxide from the lawn mower, "poison peanuts", juicy fruit gum, castor beans and plants and every other imaginable tactic. Most of them do a little good, but there are always a few that are too smart for that particular trick. My latest and most successful method is to buy small bottles of propane and a propane torch that fits the bottles. I go to the high end of their tunnels because propane is heavier than air, chop into the tunnel, barely turn the propane on, do not light it, put the torch into the hole and pack dirt around it tightly. After 10 minutes, I move the torch to another high place. $2-3 in propane will do a lot of mole and gopher control.

W.A. McCormick

Old 03-30-05, 07:53 PM
take those poison pills you have and soak them in worm oil... then put them in the hole and just cover with a lid.. check it out later... bet they are gone! these moles here go nuts over this worm oil...

Old 03-30-05, 08:44 PM
wmccormick
Visiting Guest
I think gophers eat roots and plants only. Do they go for worms at all? I have both, but the gophers are my BIG problem.

W.A. McCormick

Old 04-02-05, 10:41 AM
Pat1947
Visiting Guest
Milky Spoor

Has anyone tried Milky spoor to get rid of moles. We have been told it will do the trick to get rid of the grubs but we have 3 acres to treat and from what I understand it is very time consuming and expensive but it works. Any one have experience with this product?

Old 04-02-05, 04:57 PM
R
Yes, gophers (as in pocket gophers and ground squirrels, which are sometimes incorrectly called gophers) are plant and root-eaters. Moles are insectivores and vermivores (worm eaters). Keep in mind that the moles are probably gobbling down a lot of grubs that would otherwise be feasting on your lawn.

Old 04-05-05, 11:57 PM
yep, they eat a lot of grubs.. but they also destroy that lawn they supposedly saved.. I'd rather poison the grubs and KILL the moles.. as to the gophers.. I guess you have to get some of that clear stuff that smells like carrots..

POST EDITED: Posts that interject non beneficial generic conversational communications, contain jokes, and/or sarcasm are prohibited.

twelvepole
Super Moderator

Last edited by twelvepole; 04-07-05 at 07:28 AM. Reason: Inappropriate & non-beneficial interjection of joke
Old 05-25-05, 12:19 PM
L
At least one of your curious dogs has not proudly brought you a live mole. One of mine brought me a live baby mouse. She was so proud of herself with that mouse in her mouth, the mouse's tail hanging and swishing from her mouth. I do think she has "barked" the moles from my yard though.

I do find the mole holes. And at times she sticks her snout down the hole and barks. The other three dogs, sometimes help also.

Old 05-29-05, 03:49 AM
Y
I never realized moles were such a problem

I never really ever seen one until the other day, I guess it was a mole? I was seating in the yard, I looked down and seen the ground moving. The next thing I know I see this mouse looking thing pop his head out of the ground. Ugle looking thing, had a little pig snot, and something was going on with his eyes ( it either didn't have any or there was 2 little dots for eyes), I guess these was a mole?

How would you know if you are having a problem with them? Would there be a lot of holes in your yard, or would you see a trail of dead lawn?

Old 05-31-05, 09:13 PM
T
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Moles tunnel in the yard and leave mounds and ridges which make the yard look unsightly. When walking across the grass, you will feel the ridges beneath your feet. Moles are insectivores. Eliminating their food source, usually grubs, with an insecticide is often effective. The Dept. of Agriculture recommends trapping.

Old 07-27-05, 02:00 PM
hturko
Visiting Guest
type of worm oil to be used

What type of Worm oil should I use? Cod liver flavor? Shrimp? Anis?
What is the best source for Worm oil?
My pest control guy used poisoned grain, will this work?

Henry

Old 08-01-05, 10:39 PM
T
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Perhaps this thread will be helpful: http://forum.doityourself.com/showth...894#post794894

Old 08-04-05, 02:03 PM
Originally Posted by air biscuit
After the snow has melted, I'm starting to notice a lot of the damage that was done to my lawn from moles last year.

Keeping in mind that I have two very curious dogs, how can I get rid of them (without also posing a danger to my dogs)?
Dave,

I live in Southern Ohio and am constantly dealing with a mole situation. For myself I have found out the best way is to kill them. (I know everybody doesnt want to do this but I like my yard not all those holes and dead grass.)

I am retired so I do have time for this: I go out early morning to see if any trails have been used. If I see fresh dirt lifted that your cue. I stand next to the fresh dirt and just wait till I see him moving under the ground. Thats when I put the fork next to the ground and with my foot shove it in as far as I can. Most time I get him. Sometimes I loose.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: