troublesome red fox

Old 03-28-05, 06:55 PM
C
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
troublesome red fox

I have a red fox living in my neighborhood. At first I thuought this was great- nice to know such wildlife is still around my parts of NJ. But I have a rabbit hutch that the fox has taken an interest in- my next door neighbor has chased the fox away, and has also told me that the fox has attacked a few of his housecats. This thing is brazen and, I guess, hungry.
Anyone have similar problems or know how I can get rid of him?

thanks,
J.

Old 03-28-05, 07:28 PM
T
Red fox

Trapping is the best control. But, traps will also catch the cats and dogs and children. Since you say that you live in a 'neighborhood,' perhaps contacting local animal control for suggestions would be helpful.

Old 04-02-05, 04:11 PM
R
Hi-
As long as your rabbit hutch is well-built, the fox shouldn't be able to harm the rabbits. I can understand it taking an interest in them, though! Once it learns that it cannot get to the rabbits, it should leave them alone.

Foxes (and especially, coyotes) will catch and eat cats. The solution to this is to keep cats inside. Indoor cats live longer, aren't subjected to hazards such as vehicles, cat fights and parasites, and aren't out slaughtering the local wildlife.

Old 04-04-05, 09:56 AM
C
I agree- we have three cats and keep them indoors for those very reasons.

The hutch is big and heavy, and probably impenetrable for the fox- hopefully he doesn't stress or scare the rabbit to death.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: