Mosquitos in NE

Old 04-05-05, 09:17 AM
jhb
Visiting Guest
Mosquitos in NE

Hello all, I live in MA. On my property I have standing water that stays around until early summer, then dries out. Not much I can do about that. its "protected", but it only is about 20 by 20 feet.

So, question: what can I do to control the mosquito population and when should I start. Last year was the 1st year in the house and the mosquitos were terrible.

I was thinking about throwing Mosquito Dunks into the water, and maybe a mosquito magnet. Long term I may try and attract bats with a bat house.

The pool has a drain in it, I was wondering if I should use it to raise and lower the water to drown/dryout the larvae on the waters edge.

Anything else I should try? When should I start my efforts. When do Mosquitos start to fly? TIA

Old 04-10-05, 10:34 PM
wmccormick
Visiting Guest
If the area is that small, you might invest in a few dozen minnows, the fish bait kind. Put them into the water and let them have dinner.

W.A. McCoprmick

Old 04-13-05, 11:04 AM
S
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
I too live in MA and built my deck last spring. NOW all the neighbors come to my house to sit on the deck as it is the only mosquito free yard in the area. I bought the mosquito magnet (the small one) and it eliminates mosquitos. I have woods around approx. 30% of my house and I positioned the unit well. Now the deck and surrounding area is safe from mosquitos. We used to get killed out there. Before I had it, and was building my deck, I was bitten every 30 seconds. Now, nothing. Highly recommended. I saw my first mosquito last night. I am getting the propane this weekend and setting up the magnet. Best investment I ever made. Good luck: e3

Old 04-13-05, 09:42 PM
T
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Larvaecides are available that can be used in ditches and other areas where there is standing water. These kill the larvae after they hatch from eggs. Despite testimonials to the contrary, the research is still out on those new-fangled mosquito control devices. The EPA has not yet backed up any of them. You can do your own research on these devices. There appears to be no documented scientific research on the effectiveness of mosquito control devices.

You can make your landscape less attractive to mosquitoes and explore other alternatives for mosquito control. And, don't forget that applying a mosquito repellent containing DEET is one of the best methods to protect yourself from mosquitoes.

http://www.epa.gov/region8/toxics_pe...s/wnv/wnv.html

http://www.ext.colostate.edu/westnile/mosquito_mgt.html

Old 05-04-05, 11:22 AM
T
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
I have to agree with spamman, I to live in NE (Conn) and I live in the woods. As he said, I couldn't even go out in back with the misquitos. I purchased the middle of the road mosquito Magnet and its the best thing! I can actually sit in the back and not get bothered! I do agree there are different products on the market for this, but twelvepole, IT WORKS!!!!! Don't care what the EPA says, I can actually live outside in the summer.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: