Crickets in basement

Old 04-06-05, 02:30 PM
boomy
Visiting Guest
Crickets in basement

Bought an older home and noticed this past fall a ton of crickets in the basement. What is the best way to make sure they don't come back next fall. Tried pesticides, but they would always come back.

Old 04-07-05, 04:43 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 383 Votes on 339 Posts
Don't have an answer for you but your are not alone. My crawl space houses a bunch of crickets every summer. Wouldn't be a problem if they would stay in crawl space but 1 or 2 always seem to get in the bath rm when my wife is in there. Hope someone is out there with the remedy.

Old 04-09-05, 02:22 PM
M
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
We lived in a 100 year old farmhouse for three seasons of crickets in the basement. Professional-strength pesticides (e.g., cypermethrin based products) applied two or three times per year, year-after-year helped somewhat. By the third season they were knocked down pretty well but still a bother.

I tried broadcast spreading outdoor pesticide 30' around the perimeter of the house with no improvement. I also tried diatomaceous earth spread heavily around the outside perimeter of the house & around the basement, no improvement.

Part of our basement had a dirt floor and I wondered if they aren't able to just breed & live in that dirt for years. I covered the dirt with a 6 mil plastic sheeting overlapped & held down with a scattering of stones around the seams, no improvement.

We ended up selling & moving to a new home in town. No cricket problems whatsoever.

Old 04-09-05, 02:42 PM
T
Residual insecticide along perimeter of structure and on foundation applied monthly will tend to eliminate insects and their predators. Also sealing all entries will provide exclusion control.

Old 04-20-05, 07:18 AM
B
I use a product called Tempo. You will not find it at a local discount center. I work for an ag-retailer and get it there. Very safe and does a great job on cricketts and other insects. Spray around the foundation and also inside.
Good Luck

Old 04-21-05, 10:14 AM
I
Originally Posted by boomy
Bought an older home and noticed this past fall a ton of crickets in the basement. What is the best way to make sure they don't come back next fall. Tried pesticides, but they would always come back.
My cats love to eat crickets. I think that they like them almost as much as tuna fish.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: