gel bait application

Old 04-06-05, 05:27 PM
J
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
gel bait application

I'm hoping one of the "pros" will have a moment to respond to this--

I picked up some gel bait for roach prevention (had a couple of Oriental roaches, haven't seen anything in a month), since I live in an apartment and I figure, better safe than sorry!

I do find that the syringes are a hassle to use--they really tend to drip & bleed over after I take the pressure off the syringe, and I'm doing a very unprofessional looking job of it. I even thought of picking up a gel bait gun, but the price is pretty stiff for the Maxforce brand.

Is there a solution to a neater application with this stuff? Any pointers for a small hand duster welcome as well!

Thanks,

Jhouse

Old 04-06-05, 06:46 PM
T
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Roaches

We don't know your cirumstances. If you live in an apartment building or condo, then any attempts , even professional, may be useless unless all measures are taken into all areas of the structure. You can personally do yourself or have a professional provide a residual insecticide spray and puff boric acid into spaces behind baseboards and trim and other inaccessbile areas. This will killl live insects but not those encased in egg cases. Thus, treatments will have to be repeated and ongoing. If you live in household that is an independent structure, then residual spray, puffing of boric acid powder, and perimeter residual insecticide powder around foundation perimeter and other entries into structure are important.

If you live in an independent stricture. it will require monthly residual insececticide spray, puffing of insecticidal powder and application of insecticidal paste. It will also require monthly applications of of residual insecticide spray on baseboards and along perimeter of foundation to keep roaches from neighboring properties from entering structure.

Oriental roaches are water bugs. Address all moisture issues around structure to which they are attracted and treat with residual insecticide. Seal all entires. Repeat insecticide spray to eliminate roaches that survived insecticides in egg case.

Old 04-07-05, 01:56 PM
J
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
thanks Twelvepole!

I live in an apartment, and they do provide some pest control. I moved here in Feb, and the pest people come in April, so it sounds like it's quarterly--I think they use gel bait, I've never seen them spray. Do a lot of companies still spray, I thought a lot of them went to gel baiting?

Having lived in this complex in the past, I've never seen this place have any kind of roach problem (fingers crossed!). I've not seen anything in a month, so I don't really think there's a problem now--I just thought if I boric powdered my wall spaces, & did a little gel baiting, it might be a preventative against the beginnings of a problem. With people moving in & out, you never know who might bring little "friends".

As far as my water bugs, they seemed to disappear so suddenly, I'm thinking exclusion solved the problem. I hear that they treated the outside of the building shortly before I saw the roaches, and I had a lot of gaps with my windows & A/c and attic space, so I got *really* busy with a caulk gun.
We live right next to a large park, lots of woods & dead trees, so maybe the Orientals have a population outside in this case.

Old 04-09-05, 05:28 AM
T
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
It sounds like the bug people know what they are doing at your structure. Perimeter treatment is a sign of of a pro. Your personal exclusion efforts and your own interior control in addition to the pro should keep you bug free. Water bugs (Oriental Roaches) seem to disappear in cold weather. That's one positive despite the higher heating bills during winter.

I get water bugs in my store from my warehouse, which is attached to my store. The warehouse is like an old barn and impossible to seal. I do spray frequently the perimeter and all door thresholds. So, I usually just find dead bugs that I can pick up with a tissue before customers arrive. My persistence has just about eliminated them. Over the years I have found fewer and fewer of those creatures because of my spray.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: