Snakes under house, in attic

Old 04-16-05, 04:02 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Snakes under house, in attic

I just bought a pretty bad fixer-upper that's been empty for probably a year or so, it's on block and beam construction so about 2 feet or so of ground clearance. I know there's snakes in the attic as one saw me and took off when I pulled up some bad roof decking. It looks like the nest extends down into the wall cavity but I've got to replace all the T-111 siding next so I can access that part when I do that job.

How do I clear them out of the attic before I get in there and start adding insulation, only about R-13 now, and also out from under the house as I need to go fix some plumbing. This is central Texas so some of them are "not bad" (no such thing as a good snake in my bood, LOL), but others are pretty poisonous.

BTW, from the looks of some of the recent stool in the attic the snakes aren't keeping the other critters out. This is too big for squirrels, it's about 3/4"-1" diameter. I'm guessing it's raccoons for which I would probably call a professional. Right now there's several ways for them to get in and out, gable vents, holes under the eaves etc. I'll be screening and/or repairing those, but I don't want to trap anyone inside!

Thanks guys.

Frank
Thanks

Old 04-16-05, 10:53 PM
wmccormick
Visiting Guest
The old stand-by usually works pretty well if you can stand it yourself. Moth ball them. Use a lot of moth balls under the house, in the house and in the attic. Any animal or insect with much of a nose (snake tongue) cannot tolerate them. They evaporate in a few days, so be prepared to treat again in a few days. I am not sure how much residual odor may remain, but animals steer wide of them. One time I was the last person to buy on a street, and all the dogs in the neighborhood used my yard for a bathroom. I could not walk in the yard without getting into it. One big bag of moth balls did the trick. By the time they evaporated, all the dogs had found a new place to go.

W.A. McCormick

Old 04-16-05, 11:33 PM
T
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Discourage snakes from entering buildings by sealing all holes in foundations. Reduce cover and food supplies to discourage them from living in backyards. Snakes need cool, damp shelters and may take residence under and possibly inside buildings. This behavior may become more noticeable in the fall, when snakes seek areas to hibernate for the winter. To prevent snakes from entering basements and crawl spaces, seal all openings 1/4 inch or larger with mortar, caulking compound or 1/8-inch hardware cloth. Check for holes or cracks around doors, windows, water pipes, electrical lines, etc.

Glue trap can be made at home with purchased glueboards. It is constructed of 1/4-inch plywood cut into 16-by-24-inch sections. Drill a 3/4-inch hole in one corner to allow removal of the board by using a hook on the end of a long stick. Fasten two to four glueboards (or use bulk glue) along one side of the plywood board. This type of trap, when placed against a wall, is capable of capturing snakes up to 5 or 6 feet long. Glueboards can be used only indoors or under structures where children, pets, or other wildlife cannot reach them. Cooking oil can be used to remove snakes from glue.

There are no Federally registered snake repellents. DIY remedies such as mothballs, cayenne pepper spray, skunk scent, predator urine, ammonia, and others have been tested and did not reveal that they stopped snakes from entering structures or eliminated them.

Both Consumer Reports & the EPA state that mothballs should not be used in structures where there are humans because fumes are toxic and next to impossible to eradicate even after they evaporate.

Do not provoke or attempt a snake you can not identify. Some are venomous.

There are wildlife trappers available. Go to http://www.aaanimalcontrol.com/Profe...idofsnakes.htm to locate one in your area. You can also call your local animal control to see if they will help with trapping. You can also call your local exterminator who can help identify entries into the home as well as help with extermination or trapping.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: