Dirt "nest" on the wall - what caused it?

Old 04-17-05, 04:07 PM
Smom1994
Visiting Guest
Dirt "nest" on the wall - what caused it?

Last night we found a "blob" of dirt-like substance high on the wall in our living room (about 6.5 feet from floor). Thinking it was a large moth, my husband swatted at it with a swatter - which basically sent particles flying everywhere. Where the "blob" used to be, there was a small hole - about the size of the tip of a babies pinkie. Something very tiny appeared to be moving...we patched it with spackle. Several hours later, something had eaten away a bit of the spackle. By this morning, the hole was plugged back up with the dirt-like substance - and it is slowly getting bigger. We are calling the exterminators tomorrow - but I'm just so curious what this could be? We've checked around, and see none of the signs mentioned in your forums for termites (the tunnel things) or carpenter ants (saw dust). I've seen no swarms - though there was one dead winged "something" on the floor. I vacuumed it up without even thinking about looking more closely at it..
We are in central Texas. The wall in question is an outside wall, brick on the outside, drywall inside.

Old 04-17-05, 11:15 PM
T
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Small holes that appear in drywall that are filled or capped with mud is a sign of termites. You need to call an exterminator.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: