Some Kind of Rodent in the walls.

Old 04-22-05, 12:15 PM
bretamy1
Visiting Guest
Some Kind of Rodent in the walls.

Help,
My wife and I seem to have some kind of rodent living in the walls of our house. We noticed it in the fall but it stopped. At the time I thought I had found the way it was getting into the house. There were some roof vents in the porch that I put some heavy screen over. However now it is back. It sounds like a scratching at the wall. It seems to be in a interior wall between a closet and our upstairs bedroom. Unfortunatly my wife is a light sleeper so this has become a big problem for me. I assume it is getting into the walls through the attic. I had considered using decon but I am afraid of what might happen if my cat or dog stumble apon a poisioned rodent. Any suggestions on how to eliminate the rodent or stop it from getting in? Or locate the way it is getting in?
Thanks

Old 04-25-05, 01:56 PM
T
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Inspect attic and crawl space for signs of droppings. You could have a mouse, rat, squirrel, or other animal trapped in the wall. Exclusion is the best control.

Trapping is recommended. The use of baits and poisons may result in a dead animal trapped in walls and your having to live with odor until the animal completely decomposes. If in doubt, call a professional exterminator who can also help with identifying possible entries.

Cut back any overhanging branches on house at least 10 feet from roof. Inspect soffit and fascia and gable end vents for possible entries. Check along foundation for holes and gaps. Check where pipes and wires enter home. Seal all possible entries. Make your landscape less attractive to pests. Avoid leaving out pet food dishes. Place bird feeders away from the house. Keep garbage cans sealed.

Old 04-29-05, 01:01 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lightbulb

I live in a mobile home. On a few occasions, a possum has moved into the space under the floor. I take a piece of a "2 by 4" and a hammer, and I start banging the floor as hard as I can. It makes a lot of noise. After a short time, I can hear the little bugger moving around to get away from the noise. I follow after the possum, continuing to make large banging noises, above where I think he is.

It has never taken more than about an hour of banging to get the possum to completely leave. I finally made sure that all openings under my mobile home were sealed.

I don't know how well this "banging" will work for an animal within the walls, but it might be worth a try.

Old 05-04-05, 06:54 PM
T
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Exclusion is your best method of control. Seal all entries.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: