Bird feeders

Old 05-06-05, 12:52 PM
E
Received 6 Upvotes on 6 Posts
Bird feeders

My wife and I enjoy feeding the birds that frequent our yard. However, we put out the feed to attract the smaller birds, like finches and sparrows, but they are taken over by starlings and grackles, usually chasing the small birds away. Is there something I can do to let the small birds feed but disallow the larger birds?

Old 05-07-05, 12:36 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
I use the "bags" for finch feeding and I bought a cheap bird feeder that sits on a pole. The pole wiggles too much for the larger birds so in my case, cheap was good. I also found that the bigger birds don't like the smaller feed that the sparrows like. So I have a feeder with mostly sunflower seeds for the bigger birds and fill others with smaller seeds. Good luck.

Old 05-07-05, 11:50 AM
T
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
You need a variety of feeders and foods to attract a diversity of birds and to make sure that small birds have a place, too. Small hanging feeders tend to be best for little birds like chickadees, finches, and nuthatches. Feeders close to the ground are great for juncos and sparrows. Large mounted feeders attract larger birds like cardinals, blue jays, woodpeckers, grosbeaks, as well as smaller birds too.

Old 05-08-05, 04:37 AM
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Lightbulb

Originally Posted by twelvepole
You need a variety of feeders and foods to attract a diversity of birds and to make sure that small birds have a place, too. Small hanging feeders tend to be best for little birds like chickadees, finches, and nuthatches. Feeders close to the ground are great for juncos and sparrows. Large mounted feeders attract larger birds like cardinals, blue jays, woodpeckers, grosbeaks, as well as smaller birds too.
Very good advice. Perhaps you could have a large flat feeders for the rude birds, and have a smaller hanging feeder for the finches. From my experience, many small birds, like goldfinches like niger seed (called "thistle seed"), but finches and sparrows love sunflower seed! Also, you can have some more attractive foods for the very large birds (e.g. peanuts, bread, fruit, etc.).

Good Luck!

Country Gardener

Old 05-08-05, 06:25 AM
Super Moderator
Received 66 Upvotes on 61 Posts
erniebanks,

If you use a thistle feeder that has very small holes for the seed and place it as far away from the feeder for the larger birds as you can you'll have better luck keeping some smaller birds around.

http://content.ornith.cornell.edu/UE...ube_Read_1.jpg

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: