A Bat problem??

Old 05-15-05, 10:55 AM
H
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
A Bat problem??

I've got a bit of an odd situation here, looking for a solution; We are living in a "nearly finished" basement, while building a log home above us. I've had the roof on for a year an a half now, windows and doors roughed in, etc. The upstairs was heated via the open stairwell, and an additional gas fireplace installed this past winter. The main roof is conventional cathedral, with the insulation yet to be covered. The dining room is exposed beam construction. and on one of my work areas below the dining room beam is an accumilation of rodent droppings, about mouse size. With nothing there to attract mice, I suspected a bat hiding somewhere overhead. Running a wire along the top of the beam above the droppings produced nothing, having tried several times to locate something. Flashlight inspections both day and night have been tried, with no results. I spread a newspaper out, gently supported above the work area, and dropping continue to accumulate on the paper. Until I get all my ceiling boards up, and all the trim work around the windows, I suppose there will be a possibility of rodent intrusion, but I need to get this bat out, if thats what it is. Any ideas would be appreciated...

Old 05-16-05, 10:34 AM
T
Upvotes: 0
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
Most bat species tuck themselves into crevices. Often they can not be seen, but their telltale pile of droppings below is evidence that they you have a bat. Many mistake bat droppings for mice droppings. Pick up
and crush some bat droppings. They are dry and made up of insect debris.

First you must determine how the bat is getting in and out of the structure. Bats are nocturnal and leave the roost at night to go feed on insects. Once you find the bat's egress, it can be sealed off at night while the bat is out feeding.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: