Tiny bugs from houseplants?

Old 05-18-05, 08:51 PM
Peethree
Visiting Guest
Question Tiny bugs from houseplants?

Hi, about 3 weeks ago I have noticed tiny little bugs around my house plants (15 in total). They seem to want to stay - they are not getting bigger but have multiplied extensively - and now I'm finding them in rooms that don't even have plants.

I just last night repotted 2 plants, one of which was bought a few weeks ago (about the time the bugs started to appear?)

Both of these plants were in plastic containers (the ones they come in from the store) and had been sitting in larger pots...both of these larger pots had extra water in the bottom from overflow when watering and the bottom of the plants were quite wet.

I'm wondering if this is the source of my problem - a. the wet roots and soil and b. the standing water as a possible breeding ground...?

Anyway, what can I do to get rid of these bugs as well as prevent them from returning?

Thanks in advance!

Old 05-18-05, 11:51 PM
T
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Always isolate new plants from old ones when you bring one home to make sure it is disease and pest free. I am not quite sure what type of tiny bug you have.

If pests are getting to other rooms, I assume they are flying. Fungus gnats often breed in overly wet soil and standing water in flower pot saucers. Plant can be repotted in fresh soil. Or, the plant can be allowed to dry out. White flies are tiny white flies that fly around plants and you will notice a sticky residue. You can spray the plant with water to remove the flies.

Pick up a bottle of insectide spray or insecticide soap for houseplants. Spray plant, taking care to get under leaves. Spray soil surface. Place plant inside plastic bag for a few hours to contain spray. Keep plant isolated for at least two weeks until you are sure it is 'bug' free. Repeat applications may be necessary. If plant is heavily infested and you are unable to save it.

Old 05-19-05, 06:19 AM
Peethree
Visiting Guest
Thanks for the info - yes, they are flying around, so I'm guessing they must be the fungus gnats.

I will follow your directions re: spraying...now...the only thing is, I think that by now they are in ALL of my plants (or maybe they are just flying around all of them?) - so I should spray and bag all plants? - then how can I isolate all of them?

Thanks again!
Peeth

Old 05-19-05, 04:55 PM
T
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Spray the other plants. If spray does not seem to control, then they have become infested, too. If so, spray and bag as instructed. Avoid overwatering plants. Practice good sanitation by disinfecting flowerpot saucers and avoid standing water.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: