18-20 little vole holes

Old 06-27-05, 09:58 AM
synlupri
Visiting Guest
18-20 little vole holes

Okay, so I'm a new homeowner (Nov 04) and I just found 18-20 little 1/2 dollar sized holes in my yard. Critter control says they are "voles" and will treat for about $200. Geez, that's a bit of change.

Anyone know of a less expensive solution? Can I buy anything at the hardware store? I'd rather not have those inhumane traps, but maybe I'm asking too much. How long after the treatment would it take for the problem to clear up?

Please let me know.

Thanks.

Old 06-27-05, 01:40 PM
R
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Hi-
It depends on how much those few little holes bother you. The cheapest solution is simply to live with it and put up with a few little holes in exchange for not having poisons on your yard. Sometimes it isn't necessarily 'how do we get rid of the problem?' so much as ''ís it really a problem?

Old 06-27-05, 03:13 PM
synlupri
Visiting Guest
ugly little holes

Hi. My yard is looking pretty bad from these little pests. And we are having a party for 4th of July. I'm afraid one of the kids will trip because of them. They are pretty bad. Not just little holes...little holes with big flat paths leading up to them, which look atrocious!

So, I guess the answer is no, I do not want these varmits. On that note, what are my options?

Old 06-28-05, 03:27 PM
R
Well, a couple of regular old hardware store snap traps baited with peanut butter should do the trick. Place them along the runways, and keep your pets and children away. If you need extra security for the traps i.e. to keep them out of rain, you can put them under a lean-to made from a sheet of plywood and a couple of bricks, or other such material. Set them out at dusk, and pick them up first thing in the morning.

Old 06-29-05, 11:05 AM
R
Forgot to mention that voles prefer longer grass (it gives them more cover from predators) so if you keep your lawn mowed fairly short it should discourage them from moving back in.

Old 06-29-05, 02:40 PM
synlupri
Visiting Guest
Well that's good to know. )

Old 07-10-05, 12:06 AM
K
Hi synlupri, I also have a vole problem, but they tend to stay in the garden (they like some of my bulbs). My cat keeps them at a very managable # for me, and catching them keeps her in shape. I don't ever see the holes. Just a thought......

Old 07-11-05, 07:56 AM
synlupri
Visiting Guest
Red face

I have two (indoor) cats, who would balk at the idea of having to kill anything. LOL. Spoiled rotten they are. Although, I must admit that a fly doesn't have a wing or a prayer inside my house. Maybe I should get an alley cat for the outside? LOL

Thanks for the suggestions. so far we put some poison in the hole and cut the grass, and ran the hose down there. So either they ate the poison and died, found a more grassy area to live, or drowned, because I haven't seen any new holes lately.

Thanks for the help.

Old 07-12-05, 12:29 AM
T
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Keep garden weeded, avoid planting dense ground covers, and keep your lawn mowed, so landscape will be less attractive to voles. Avoid placing mulch to close to shrubs and trees. Voles love to take cover beneath mulch. In winter, they love snow. When snow melts you can see a complex trail where they have travelled on top of grass, so it's important to keep snow well back from shrubs and trees in winter because they will feast on bark.

Mouse traps or poisons, garden fencing, or repellents are often effective. Rat poison is effective, but the concern is pets and children if you decide to use poison. If you have identified the vole's runway, bait a mouse trap with peanutbutter and place trap perpendicular to runway with peanutbutter facing the path in order to lure the vole to the trap. There are chemical vole repellents, but voles can get used to the smell and ignore them. Most recommend predator urine like fox and coyote available at garden centers and hardware stores. Wire mesh can be placed around young trees to prevent gnawing on bark. Garden plants can be protected by burying wire mesh around root system of plants. Voles can be trapped in live traps and relocated. Some states have restrictions against relocation of animals.

Old 07-12-05, 12:30 PM
synlupri
Visiting Guest
Wow, that's a lot of info. Thank you so much. I will keep all this in mind as I battle the little critters. )

Old 07-18-05, 08:12 AM
L
I have what I think are Voles in my backyard also, but until yesterday they really did not bother me. However, yesterday morning, my dogs dropped their freshly "vanquished" vole victim in my lap!!!

So now I need to think of ways to either keep the Voles under control, or train the dogs to leave their vanquised outside>

Old 01-08-06, 02:45 PM
S
voles???????

sounds more like gophers,, their attracted by the scrubs in your lawn, or I should say under it. Japenesse beetles lay the larvae that is call the scrub. the voles, gophers and other borrowing pests like to eat the scrubs. treat your lawn for scrubs and sooner or later you won't have any gophers. gophers ruin your lawn act as soon as you can or else you won't have one. they have gopher traps and poisons and live traps that if you have 18-20 holes all should be used. good luck

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: