Rodents or Pests In A Wall? {Retitled Question}

Old 07-05-05, 03:23 PM
S
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Rodents or Pests In A Wall? {Retitled Question}

I was at my cabin this past weekend. Went to bed in the loft at about midnight and heard crunching sounds coming from the ceiling/wall (it is an A-frame structure). It sounded just like my cat eating dried cat food. I reached over to see if the cat was on the bed and she was, so it was not her. The sound was from inside the wall/roof. What the heck could this be? Bats? Carpenter ants? It was quite loud and was not a rustling sound like I would think bats would make. We looked outside the building and I can find no place for anything (big) to get in. Any ideas you have would be greatly appreciated. The sound was not from the peak of the building, but from near the floor of the loft (about 6 feet down from the peak, inside the roof/wall).

Old 07-08-05, 09:21 AM
T
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Bats are out feeding after dark on insects. A noise like a cat munching on dried cat food would come from a larger animal such as a squirrel or chipmunk munching on nuts or seeds.

Skull size is the only thing that prevents rodents from entering small holes or cracks. A mouse can enter an opening as small as a dime. Areas around where pipes and wiring enter the house often provide easy entry. Openings along bottom edge of roof on an A-frame can also provide entry.

Old 08-25-05, 09:01 AM
Question mice in walls?

could it be mice in the walls chomping on the 2x4's or the drywall or the paper from the insulation batting?

we're hearing this same clicking/tapping/crunching/scratching sound from the wall our headboard is up against (which is just a little too darn close for comfort! not to mention emotionally disturbing & unrelentingly annoying!) i'm assuming it's mice.....?? it almost sounds like sleet hitting the side of the house (but it's not raining & it's summer!) when i bang/knock on the walls, it stops for a bit, but then starts up again. i lay there all night long imagining them gnawing a hole through the wall & coming right in! could they do that? like in the cartoons, where you see the half-moon shaped hole at the base of the wall????? i'm so freaked out!!! and sleep-deprived!!!

i've set 4 mouse traps with peanut butter in the garage along the same wall which is directly under our bedroom (it's a drive-under split level house and i have seen dropping in the garage before, but never a mouse). anything else i can/should do? other than my fantasy of ripping the drywall off the studs to expose the little beasts and then beating them to death with the crowbar???? (sorry.....the sleep deprivation talking again....)

Last edited by Annette; 08-25-05 at 11:22 AM.
Old 08-25-05, 12:40 PM
S
I was so distressed by this that I called an exterminator who thought it might be a bat stuck in there. He sealed up things a bit and I haven't heard anything since. I don't have mice or bats inside the cabin at all, but had plumbing installed and something might be getting in somehow or another into the walls now with all the holes going through the roof and floors. I hate to think of what the colder weather will bring. (I had been sleeping downstairs on the hideabed!)

Old 08-25-05, 12:49 PM
i know!! it's so unbelievably distressing to be laying there in bed and hearing this little "thing" doing Godknowswhat in the wall, right there in front of you, separated from you by only that thin sheet of drywall! i told my husband the military could use that as some kind of torture technique on prisoners! it's positively maddening!!!

i'm sure i've got a mouse, since i've seen the droppings in the garage below. i'm going tonight to get some D-con to put out, in addition to the snap traps. i'm horrified by the thought of him/her/them making little nests in the insulation & having babies!!! so i'm hoping to nip it before that happens......

Old 09-24-05, 01:58 AM
K
If it's a steady, relentless gnawing/rasping noise, then it may be termites. Seems likely in sk81299's cabin loft, surrounded by trees presumably and therefore termites. They'll chew quite near the surface, and are easily heard when all else is silence. A single termite makes a monotonous crunch - crunch - crunch sound as it works. The rate is slower and more regular than mice gnawing.

Thumping on the timber halts them for a little while, then they resume work, robotically, whereas a mouse finds something else to do when startled.

I've sometimes checked likely timbers, at night and by ear, and found termites this way. Termites don't normally reveal themselves, visibly.

Old 10-03-05, 09:23 PM
You are in MN, we don't have termites, but we do have C. Ants. C. Ants will be heard all day though although they are a nocturnal ant, they chew all day. Bats do not chew, there teeth are too brittle to chew anything. So, that leaves MAYBE...C. ants, but up high, probably squirrels or mice. If it is squirrels, they will have a hole, usually by a tree on the outside. Squirrels will chew all day and run around, leave, come back, etc. Mice are mainly nocturnal, so you are probably dealing with mice if only at night. I say whatever you think you have, you something smaller. So if you think it is a hippo, it is probably a raccoon. If you think it is a raccoon probably a squirrel. IF it sounds like a squirrel, probably mice. Everything sounds louder at night when trying to sleep.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: