Killed a big black 'wasp' need help identifiny it.

Old 07-08-05, 11:15 AM
Received 1 Upvote on 2 Posts
Unhappy Killed a big black 'wasp' need help identifiny it.

In our porch there was a lot of Yellow paper wasps flying around. We went out with the spray, started hitting the nests and out of the porch, a small eraser size hole, a big black insect flew out. Looking at several pictures it is similar to the bumble bee queen. large, about uncurled 1 inch big, and about 2 pencil widths body size. The thorax is black, shiny, and no hair. The full body is black, and has hair on the legs, and sparse hair near the wings, which are brownish black also, but clear.

I am curious as to what kind of insect this is, since after we used raid, it still flew for minutes, till we drowned it on the ground with more. After I went to get the container more yellow paper wasps were flying around it.

Old 07-08-05, 05:57 PM
T
Upvotes: 0
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
These are carpenter bees. They make small round holes in wood in order to tunnel in and lay eggs. A powdered insecticide should be puffed into holes in order to reach far into their tunnels. Leave the hole open for a few days after treatment to allow the bees to contact and distribute the insecticide throughout the tunnels. Then plug the entrance hole with a piece of wooden dowel coated with carpenter's glue or wood putty. Bees may hover about for a few days trying to get back into holes after you plug them. You can knock them down with your tennis or badminton racket or broom and stomp them.

Paper wasps are black with a yellow circle. They are sometimes called umbrella wasps because of the shape of their paperlike nests.

Old 07-09-05, 10:16 PM
buggy
Visiting Guest
Another thing to remember is that Carpenter bees usually will attack only untreated wood. That is wood that is unpainted, or painted or sealed wood that is in need of a fresh coat. In my experience if you seal and paint, you will help solve the problem along with twelvepoles suggestions.

Old 07-16-05, 05:53 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
I like Carpenter Bees. (We call them leaf cutters here in the keys) Have you ever watched them closely? They fly a very set path to and from their "Nest". If you should move something that is in their flight path, it confuses them to no end. And they are very persistant also. They will try for hours to find the right items within their set pattern. (They fly on "landmarks". I had one building it's nest in a speaker box a few years ago. I put the box down from where it was, and the bee never found it. So, after about an hour, I took the box apart, and removed the "nest".

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: