garden mayhem with cucumber beetlesor deer?

Old 07-17-05, 07:08 PM
M
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
garden mayhem with cucumber beetlesor deer?

Will cucumber beetles devour an entire plant?My watermelon and pumpkin plants are being devoured daily.I have seen alot of cucumber beetles but weren't sure if they are capable of such havoc.My first thought was raccoon and deer because my tomato plants are now being eaten also.Something has attacked them today during daylight hours,and last night something really got to them also.I don't know if it is a combination of critters or what?!How can you determine what is doing this without seeing any animals there and it happening at night?What will deter any or all of this.We live in the Cuyahoga Valley Nat'l Park and have children,so any non-chemical deterents are much preferrred.Thanx for any help in this matter!!!!!

Old 08-28-05, 08:04 AM
J
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
I had a similar situation and thought it might be bugs until I saw a woodchuck actually chewing on the cucumber plants (which were in containers from two to five feet above the ground). I set a box trap, which didn't get the woodchuck, but it came out for breakfast one morning and is now a resident of the Great Cucumber Patch in the Sky. Since then, the cucumber plants have sprouted new leaves and are doing well.

Guess the moral of the story is not to rule out the possibility that it might be woodchucks rather than (or in addition to) deer.
JCCremer

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: