mildew problem

Old 07-25-05, 05:10 PM
wiginton
Visiting Guest
mildew problem

mildew continues to reappear in our attached garage even after pressure washing with a chemical designed to kill it. we have storage/attic above the garage in which we have installed an attic fan. we keep windows in garage opened and garage doors opened at least 12 inches to promote ventilation. in addition we have placed floor fan in garage to aid in circulating air. please advise.

Old 07-27-05, 07:36 PM
P
Group Moderator
Received 1,707 Upvotes on 1,525 Posts
You did not say where the mildew is: floor, walls, ceiling; or where you live (what's the weather like...).

Mildew needs food and moisture so both of those things must be in your garage.
-------
In my basement garage ventilation is what causes my moisture problem. I live in hot & humid NC. The garage is in the basement level so it stays nice and cool (about 72 in the summer) if the door is kept shut. When we open the door 90+ degree humid air rolls in and condenses on all the cool stuff in the garage.

Old 08-01-05, 10:34 PM
T
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Leaving windows open in garage increases humidity problems. Run dehumidifier along with fans and keep door and windows closed. Make sure soil is sloped away from garage so that water is carried away. Also, make sure that gutters and downspouts are clear and that water is carried away from structure. Disinfect affected areas on garage walls and floor with bleach and water solution. Sealing concrete garage floor with a couple coats of penetrating sealer for concrete will also reduce vapor emissions from passing through concrete. Make sure attic over garage has adequate ventilation so that warm, humid air is not trapped in attic.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: