yellow jackets life cycle

Old 07-29-05, 10:11 AM
J
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
yellow jackets life cycle

We just recently had our house newly sided and trimmed. Of course their is a small gap at the end of the eave where the trim didn't cover. And of course their are quite a few yellow jackets flying in and out of this gap. I don't wan't to spray into this gap fearing they will get into the house. we live in New york and my question is if I leave them be and then in the winter caulk the hole closed, will i be all set. I am not sure if they die in the winter or if they hiberanate in their nests and then come out when it get's warm again.

Old 07-29-05, 03:02 PM
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Bad idea, you will trap them inside the house doing that. How much do you like ladders?

Old 07-29-05, 08:47 PM
buggy
Visiting Guest
I personally would take my chances and spray in the gap, then close it up. The workers will probably not live through the winter. A queen or female might though. Normally if they get into the attic there is usually not many open gaps into the house from there. Sometimes they can come from the attic and fit through light fixtures, but your not going to have a whole colony or nest come through there. Spray close it done...go for it!

Old 08-01-05, 10:25 PM
T
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Nests in walls can be destroyed by placing an insecticide dust (e.g., Sevin or rotenone garden dust) in and around the nest entrance during the night. Dust can be puffed in and around opening by placing dust in empty plastic squeeze bottle with nozzle. The dust particles will adhere to the insects as they leave and reenter the nest and control will usually be achieved within a few days. Do not plug a nest opening in a house wall until you are sure all activity within the nest has stopped.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: