fly problem...how to resolve?

Old 08-01-05, 06:23 PM
L.Terry
Visiting Guest
fly problem...how to resolve?

well it seems that we have a little(big) fly problem that has arisen over the last few days. they seem to be breeding in/living in the air duct of one of our AC units. after killing several(no tons) of them I started some internet research and found that they are grey flesh flies. I wanted to ask some advice on the best course of action to take to get rid of them. as of right now they are mostly contained in the actual AC unit itself and the ducts coming out of it, which we have managed to secure so that only 1 or 2 is able to get through. but when you open it up, theyre everywhere. I know that I will have to find whatever it is(seems they only breed in dead animals) that they are breeding in and remove it, but i cant even get in there as of yet because there are so many they will swarm everywhere and get all over teh house.

I was considering using several bug bombs to temporarily kill off all that I can, and then going in and finding the source before they can breed back to such a large capacity again. does this seem like a sound plan or does anyone know a better course of action to take?

Old 08-02-05, 11:55 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
When dealing with flies, only finding and removing the source will get rid of them. There are types of flies that will try to overwinter inside buildings, but if you think that there is a dead animal in your ductwork or A/C unit, you really need to get in there and dispose of it. A flying insect spray or pyrethrin will kill the existing adults, but like you said, after this, you got to get in there, as this is only a temp. solution.

Good luck,

Jay

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: