lysol to clean mouse droppings?

Old 08-12-05, 10:23 AM
renter252
Visiting Guest
lysol to clean mouse droppings?

Hi,

This is likely a repeat topic, but I'm a newbie and couldn't find the specific information I need.

Apparently, I have at least one mouse in my apartment, and have had this problem in the past. In the past, management has brought in those snap traps. Unfortunately, I've noticed that some of those deploy with no accompanying dead mouse. Management has offered to use sticky traps, but they make me sick to my stomach. So, first questions: are the sticky traps more/less effective than the snap traps? And how quickly does the mouse die using the sticky traps?

Now for the mouse droppings. Most cleaning instructions involve me diluting bleach and wetting all the droppings before cleaning them up. My problem is that I have now found droppings underneath my couch cushions, and I don't want to ruin my cushions using bleach. Can I use Lysol instead?

And now just to rest your heads, I am currently cleaning the hell out of my apartment - removing everything from the floors, making sure all food is sealed, etc., and will rigorously search for openings in the wall where they are coming in to seal with steel wool.

Thanks, everyone!

Sponsored Links
Old 08-12-05, 10:54 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
The reason for using the bleach method is to keep the droppings from becoming airborn. I see no problem with what you want to do. Just DO NOT use a vacuum to clean them up.
As far as sticky traps, I think they catch more mice but dying may be a slow process. I have thrown many sticky traps out with the mouse still kicking. Good luck.

Old 08-12-05, 12:44 PM
renter252
Visiting Guest
actually, lysol not the best idea...

What irony. I haven't bought Lysol in years b/c it's an aerosol and I don't want to ruin the environment. So today I'm using it for the first time in forever to spray on the mouse droppings, and the aerosol forced the mouse droppings to fly around (i.e., causing them to be airborne). Duh. I stopped. Now I'm waiting for the other room to clear out of the Lysol smell...

Also, I found damage to my couch - the mice have been burrowing in, tearing holes, and causing stuffing to fall out. I think I'm getting over my desire to kill them humanely; management called to say they don't have any snap traps left, so I said "Bring on the sticky traps!" I'll probably feel differently when I'm staring at the little guy writhing around in the glue, but right now, I'm furious about my couch.

Last edited by renter252; 08-15-05 at 03:47 PM.
Old 08-13-05, 07:15 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
You'll probably find that the mice are either living in your couch or using the padding for their nest elsewhere.

Old 08-15-05, 03:55 PM
renter252
Visiting Guest
Yes. When I get some help, I'm planning on turning my couch over to see the damage. Hopefully it isn't too bad.

Also, I learned how to handle the Lysol. It didn't take a genius; instead of spraying the droppings directly so that they bounced around, I sprayed the air above them.