Funky odor...something has died??

Old 08-28-05, 07:15 PM
D
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Funky odor...something has died??

Hello,
I don't know exactly where to post this question, so I'll stick it here because I'm surmising that this is a rodent problem of some sort.
For the second time in the past month, we have a funky odor lurking in our back room. To me, it smells as though something has died. It has a garbage-like/ammonia smell. Not good. The smell is stronger towards the ceiling and less so near the floor. I can not trace it to a certain part of the room. Coincidentally, the access to the attic is in one of the closets in this room. The attic is filled with nothing more than insulation...it has a fairly low ceiling. I do know that we had mice up there a few years ago. We have also recently had yellow jackets in our wall...they were exterminated. Would a dead bee hive stink?? Could it be a rodent? I don't know how anything bigger than a mouse would get up there...the chimney is capped, the vents are screened, etc.
Any ideas??? Anyone???
Thanks
Ann

Old 08-29-05, 06:15 PM
buggy
Visiting Guest
Smells are hard to determine. Probably not a bee hive, there would be staining on the walls from decomposing honey and such, scratch the yellow jackets too. You can usually trace the smell by putting your nose to the wall/ceiling and sniffing until you find the general location. Wost case senarios are cutting a small hole in wall/ceiling to find it(small patches are easy) or just leave it be and wait it out.

Also rodents that gain entry to the attic usually will burrow in it so going into the attic you may see nothing. Alot of times it will be between the insulation and ceiling. Check outside again look for holes. Common routes of enrty are around electrical or plumbing lines going into wall and not sealed properly. Another is the a/c line that runs up the side of house into eave or attic. Rodents are good climbers.

By the way I know its hard to describe smells but if you think its a dead smell it usually is.

Old 08-30-05, 09:13 AM
anon1m0us
Visiting Guest
Had the same issue

I had the same issue as you described. A BAD odor in my basement. I thought it might be mold or something. I knew it was soemthing dead, but was afraid to think of it. I knocked down a wall where the smell was coming from and the smell got really bad. The wall was behind the crawl space, and the crawl space did NOT smell. I started removing the insulation and found a DEAD rat.
So my advice do you would be to remove insulation and verify nothing DEAD is between the insulation and walls.

Old 08-30-05, 09:30 AM
D
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
The strange thing about this odor is that it isn't constant. I aired out the room and the smell has been gone for 2 days. We smelled the exact same smell about a month ago and again, it was only for one night. That time, my dad came over and stuck his head up in the attic...no direct smell there. He also got up on the roof and smelled the vents from the attic...no smell there either. It's definitely a mystery. It comes and goes, but smells like something has definitely expired. Any other thoughts? Thanks for the good ideas thus far.

There's a guy in town here who does free attic inspections. I think I'll take him up on that...

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: