cone-shaped depressions

Old 09-12-05, 04:53 AM
NoDakGuy
Visiting Guest
cone-shaped depressions

I've been finding about a dozen small cone-shaped depressions in my backyard and I'm wondering if they are related to some critter that I should be interested in "meeting." They are showing up on the northeast corner of the house in some loose soil at the edge of a flower bed. It's happening at night (I think), and there's a short brick edging around the flower bed (about 4 inches). The little depressions range from about the size of a quarter to around 3 inches across; they're pretty shallow, but are almost always perfectly smooth and uniformly in a circle.

Anyone know what might be causing these?

Old 09-12-05, 06:24 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2 options...

1. Skunk looking for grubs to eat.
2. Squirrels looking to bury nuts. They make fake holes and then a real hole to help confuse the competition.

Since its at night and a decent ammount of holes, i am betting its a skunk.

Old 09-12-05, 10:14 PM
NoDakGuy
Visiting Guest
Dumb question: If it's a skunk, would I have heard about them being around the area since I live in town? I've never heard anyone mention having skunks around.
I think the skunk idea is mildly cool, but my wife would disagree, so I think I'll keep your two "scents" to myself, at least around the house.

Old 09-13-05, 06:19 PM
Skunks are quiet.. unfortunately for those who don't know they are around until they step on them. They usually come out to 'play' about an hour after the sun goes down.

Old 09-25-05, 10:23 PM
T
I'm betting on a larger warm blooded critter... on the other hand.... - I don't know about your part of the country but down South we have "ant lions" that make depressions in soft ground/sandy soil that sound exactly like yours.

If you're not familiar with them, ant lions are a bug that digs that depression in soft soils. Ants slip into the depressions and slide to the bottom of the hole where the ant lion grabs and eats them. Just for grins and giggles, take a scoop of earth completely surrounding that depression... sift through it and see if you find a little critter....

BTW, they're totally harmless....

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: