Something is making holes in our window screen?

Old 10-16-05, 12:25 AM
T
TSH
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Something is making holes in our window screen?

For the past 2 years, in the Spring (March-April) and Fall (Oct-Nov), a Northern Flicker (Male - Yellow Shafted Subspecies) arrives at our home and, like clockwork, begins pecking each morning around 9am-10am. Not making holes, but drumming a few times. He is either marking his territory and/or trying to attract mate. He has even taken to hanging out upside down on our bedroom window screen once in a while, sometimes for more than 15 minutes, usually during the early morning around 3am-4am. He also likes to peer into our bedroom too, while perched on the window sill. He does this on the 3rd floor of our home. We live in an area with lots of Oak and Laurel Trees, on the edge of a 5,000 acre open space park. As long as he continues to NOT damage the house, we are quite happy to have his company.

Now, yesterday we discovered the 3rd floor bathroom window screen has had hole chewed in it! the hole is near the middle of the screen! I look at this screen everyday when I shower, so I know this is a new hole. I recently replaced the window screen because it was getting old.

We have Oak Titmouse birds in the area, I have heard they like to chew window screens, could it be the Northern Flicker making the hole? or another animal species?

The hole appears to have been made with a tearing motion, since the edges are jagged, not so much as a chewing motion.

What could be the cause of this? it is only 1 window screen in our home. The others are intact.

thanks.

Old 10-16-05, 07:33 AM
T
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Whether hole in screen is a result of a bird pecking through to its reflection or from a collision with the screen, you need to repair the hole in the screen. Since only one window is affected and appears to be attracting birds, it can be draped with netting or the interior of the window covered with paper or something to prevent the bird from seeing its reflection.

Old 10-17-05, 08:55 AM
K
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
around here grasshoppers eat the screens.

Old 10-17-05, 07:52 PM
T
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
In the fall after grasshoppers have laid their eggs, there are reports that they seem to go crazy while they wait for the winter freeze to kill them. Thee are reports of their eating plastic window screens and latex paint on the sides of homes.

http://doityourself.com/outpest/controlgrasshoppers.htm

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: