Dead animal in my fireplace

Old 11-03-05, 01:37 AM
Visiting Guest
Posts: n/a
Dead animal in my fireplace

Does anyone have advice on what to do about a dead animal in my fireplace? About 2 weeks ago we heard scratching noises coming from the fireplace and the next day it stopped. We'll a few days ago our whole house starting smelling horrible and we figured whatever animal was in the fireplace died and was rotting (I'm in CA and it's been fairly hot). I've tried calling pest control, chimney sweepers, animal control and our HOA...they all say there's nothing they can do! My boyfriend has tried his best to get at it, but it must be in an unreachable spot. Do we just keep trying to cover the smell with scented candles and hope the smell goes away eventually?!?!? I'd greatly appreciate any advice. Thank you.
Old 11-03-05, 11:08 AM
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: USA
Posts: 15,816
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Call another chimney sweep. Tell them you need your chimney cleaned. If your chimney does not have a cap, consider getting one to keep out animals. In the meantime, spray with enzyme digester deodorizer. If animal is not removed, odor will remain until it completely decomposes.
Old 12-28-05, 09:01 AM
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Michigan
Posts: 170
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wood or gas fireplace? If it is gas, I would try lighting it for a few minutes and see what the result is. If the chimney is plugged you can turn the gas right off. If it isn't plugged you will force most of the odor out the chimney and dry the body somewhat. Good luck.
Old 01-14-06, 06:50 PM
frhrwa's Avatar
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Deer Park WA
Posts: 505
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I was just going to say, if it isn't blocked, build a fire.... cooked meat doesn't smell compared to rotting fresh meat.. and if the fires hot enough.. there may not be that much left, it'll fall on through..

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Ask a Question
Question Title:
Your question will be posted in: