Dead animal in my fireplace

Old 11-03-05, 01:37 AM
akh9369
Visiting Guest
Dead animal in my fireplace

Does anyone have advice on what to do about a dead animal in my fireplace? About 2 weeks ago we heard scratching noises coming from the fireplace and the next day it stopped. We'll a few days ago our whole house starting smelling horrible and we figured whatever animal was in the fireplace died and was rotting (I'm in CA and it's been fairly hot). I've tried calling pest control, chimney sweepers, animal control and our HOA...they all say there's nothing they can do! My boyfriend has tried his best to get at it, but it must be in an unreachable spot. Do we just keep trying to cover the smell with scented candles and hope the smell goes away eventually?!?!? I'd greatly appreciate any advice. Thank you.

Old 11-03-05, 11:08 AM
T
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Call another chimney sweep. Tell them you need your chimney cleaned. If your chimney does not have a cap, consider getting one to keep out animals. In the meantime, spray with enzyme digester deodorizer. If animal is not removed, odor will remain until it completely decomposes.

Old 12-28-05, 09:01 AM
P
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wood or gas fireplace? If it is gas, I would try lighting it for a few minutes and see what the result is. If the chimney is plugged you can turn the gas right off. If it isn't plugged you will force most of the odor out the chimney and dry the body somewhat. Good luck.

Old 01-14-06, 06:50 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I was just going to say, if it isn't blocked, build a fire.... cooked meat doesn't smell compared to rotting fresh meat.. and if the fires hot enough.. there may not be that much left, it'll fall on through..

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: