Bugs in house.. help!

Old 11-14-05, 01:13 PM
C
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Bugs in house.. help!

I just purchaced my first home about a month ago. The home was vacant for about a year and a half and completely neglected. I seem to have roaches, spiders, and ants everywhere. I did the granular ant stuff around the house and in the yard.. I threw out 12 of the combat roach baits but still seem to have a spider issue. I cant afford to have a pro come out and take care of it all.. so far everything ive used was given to me. What else out there over the counter will work? I cleared my gutters which contained many many roaches after removing the yard trash. I was able to spray the gutters with a can of roach spray the home owner left behind. They also left a Raid bug fogger Id like to use in the attic as its bad also but I was told to be careful using foggers in an attic when there is gas heat. Thanks for any info..

Old 11-16-05, 09:17 AM
T
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Identification of the type of roach you have is important. German cockroaches are light brown, nocturnal pests, if seen in the day, mean that you have a larger infestation than you think. They usually hide in cracks and behind baseboards during the day. Dark, reddish brown Oriental roaches are about an inch long. They breed in moist areas, such as crawl spaces, and can often be found around drains. They enter houses at sewer connections, under doors, around utility pipes, air ducts, or other openings in the foundation. Sealing entries, addressing moisture and ventilation issues, and applying external residual insecticide along foundation, in basements, and crawl spaces tends to offer effective control. The same control measures apply for American cockroaches which are large, reddish brown, and have wings. These are often referred to as water bugs (often found around drains) and palmetto bugs. Again, identification of the type of roach, exclusion, addressing moisture and ventilation issues, and insecticide control are the best control measures. Foggers and insecticide sprays will kill only live roaches and not those in egg cases. For severe infestation, a professional is recommended. There are baits that get carried back to the colony and traps available. Eliminating a roach infestation requires patience, persistence, and multiple approaches to control.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: