Is this a nest of some kind?

Old 11-17-05, 12:01 PM
jimgrill
Visiting Guest
Is this a nest of some kind?

Hello

I have recently moved to Georgia north of Atalanta and came across something I have never seen before in my attic. Here is a link to some pics I took of it:

http://jgrill.jimgrill.com/wtf/

Is that some kind of [gulp] hornet's nest or something?

I moved from Houston, TX and we did not have hornets there, so I have no idea what they look like. The only thing I can say about that thing is that I feel strangely compelled to poke it with a stick.

Thank you!

Old 11-17-05, 02:59 PM
T
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Yellowjackets and baldfaced hornets make nests from a papery pulp comprised of chewed-up wood fibers mixed with saliva. These are typically gray, but if they chose the OSB or joists for fibers that may explain the yellowish color of the nest. Nests consist of a series of rounded combs stacked in tiers and the combs are covered by layers of pulp. If this is a nest, do not poke it with a stick because you may disturb thousands of workers and they may descend upon you. Call a pest control company for identification and eradication. Please post back.

Old 11-18-05, 05:21 AM
jimgrill
Visiting Guest
I was kidding about poking it with a stick That thing freaks me out! I'm not sure how I found the courage to go back up there with a camera. I guess curiosity can sometimes impair one's judgement a bit. Didn't curiosity kill the cat?

I'll call a pest control company today. I'm still interested to get other people's opinions and will check back here and keep you updated.

Thanks for the reply!

Jim

Old 11-18-05, 02:16 PM
jimgrill
Visiting Guest
Well, it bothered me so much that I had a pest control company come out and identify it and remove it today.

It was definitely a hornet's nest. The guy who removed it said it was the largest hornet's nest he'd seen in 15 years on the job. He also said it was one of the most unique nests he'd ever seen. He told me that the nest was definitely from this past summer judging by the condition of it. He said it would most likely be dormant at this time of the year but the queen could still be in it. He poked it with a stick (didn't someone say not to do that? ) and it was empty. The queen was nowhere to be found either. She probably tunneled into the ground somewhere nearby in the woods.

For your viewing pleasure:

http://jgrill.jimgrill.com/wtf/

Jim

Last edited by jimgrill; 11-19-05 at 06:44 AM.
Old 11-18-05, 04:16 PM
T
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Thanks for posting back. I think we will sleep better now that we know what kind of nest it was and that it is removed.

Now the trick is to find the entry point and seal it. It should be in the area where the nest was located. There is possibly a small hole or gap in the fascia or soffit.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: