How to Deter Skunks?

Old 11-21-05, 09:30 PM
kdnovak
Visiting Guest
Exclamation How to Deter Skunks?

I am wondering what I can do to deter skunks in my yard?

Old 11-22-05, 10:56 AM
T
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
First, screen off any areas under decks, outbuildings, etc. to prevent skunks from entering. Make sure their are no entries into your home where skunks get enter crawlspaces. Eliminate brush, woodpiles, etc. where skunks can hide in your landscape. Lawns can be fenced in such a way to keep skunks out of landscape. Skunks can be trapped. Contact your local wildlife control for recommendations in your area re: relocation or disposal. If skunks have been digging in landscape for grubs and insects, treating lawn with insecticide will minimize skunks in the landscape.

Old 11-28-05, 11:12 PM
yooperlou
Visiting Guest
this is kind of an old wifes tale but it does seem to work. Spread mothballs around where they are. Seems to deter them. I never believed it to be honest with you until we had a skunk hanging out near our dog kennels. My dad mentioned he used to do this and low and behold, the skunk left. Could be coincidence I don't know...but the skunk left and never returned.

Old 12-02-05, 10:38 AM
gmapollyr
Visiting Guest
Thumbs up I agree with yooperlou

I have also had success with mothballs (i put them in socks and place them around the yard). You can also try sprinkling a fair amount of cayenne pepper around your yard, focusing on the outer edges.

Skunks are also attracted to bird seed so if you have this out, try removing it.

Good luck!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: