These ain't no Dr. Suess mice!

Old 12-01-05, 12:55 AM
S
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
These ain't no Dr. Suess mice!

I think I have mice straight out of a Stephen King novel....they are either super smart, or just smarmy lil wise guys!! Maybe both?
The first one I saw was perched on my cats litter box....no one can tell me that isn't *%#$@ You! in mouse speak! The nasty little rodent might as well have given me the bird & put on some little mouse pants just so he could BA me!!
We won't even mention my poor, non mousing, 20yr old decrepit cat that wouldn't put forth the effort to catch a mouse to save her life....I swear a mouse could saunter directly in front of her, plop down, nibble on a piece of her cat food and if she had to do more than extend a paw, she'd look at me like, "Hey, wouldja get that for me?"

Anyway, FINALLY to my point, does anyone have any personal experience with the ultrasonic 'pest zappers' that plug into the wall?
I'd like to know if they really work and if they do, is there a particular brand that is better than others?

I'm REALLY tired of (and grossed out by) using mouse traps...the ones I bought most recently are apparently made for muscle bound super mice who work out, not the lazy, scrawny mice in my house because they tend to do some serious bodily harm...I won't even go into detail.
Ok, just heard another trap snap....went to do reconnaissance....and what do I find??? One dead mouse, thanks to the super duper, bone crushing trap, and one LIVE mouse who was apparently conducting a mouse funeral/wake/let's really screw with the home owner service.
I didn't even realize there was a 2nd mouse until after I'd looked at the trap the first time....when I first looked I thought the trap had just landed in a weird position (since these things catch air when the are tripped) making it look like the mouse was sitting looking at me....went to get a trash bag and when I looked again, the trap was flipped over on top of the mouse that actually tripped the trigger....hence the pagan funeral service being held, the other lil rodent was probably voodoing the trapped one back to life!!
OH! And I moved one of my traps to what seems to be a more populated area and they'd licked the peanut butter off of the lever!!!
Should I just move and hope they won't hunt me down since their mission in life seems to be making me nuts?
Any advice would be much appreciated and sorry for the babbling non stop blather....

Last edited by majakdragon; 12-01-05 at 08:37 AM. Reason: removed wording not fit for family forum
Old 12-01-05, 08:05 AM
T
The best mouse control is exclusion. All cracks, gaps, holes in structure should be sealed. Mice can enter a hole as small as a dime. Once mice are indoors, trapping is the best control. For mice, the small wooden snap trap is recommended. Place several traps, not just one or two, in areas where mice are seen. Place baited traps with bait facing baseboards. Mice tend to travel along perimeter of room. Check traps frequently and dispose of mice. Sticky traps can also be used, but many feel these tend to be inhumane because mice have been known to pull off a leg in order to escape. Baits and poisons are not recommended indoors because a dead mouse trapped in a wall or other place will smell until completely decomposed. Too, with pets baits and poisons are not recommended. There is no scientific evidence that electronic control devices are effective despite testimonials to the contrary. Good sanitation is also important where there are mice. Eliminating food sources such as crumbs, pet food, etc. is important. Food should be stored in sealed containers.

If living in multi-family housing, mice can travel from other apartments. If so, contact the landlord about infestation and the need for sealing entries into structure and control. For infestation, a professional exterminator is often recommended.

Old 12-15-05, 02:46 PM
S
I have been searching for where they are coming in and have sealed everywhere I can find...
When I've caught them in a trap previously, I ran the trap along the wall, didn't realize the 'business end' should be against the wall but am putting them that way now.
The problem being the brilliant, sneaky little SOB's are licking the peanut butter off the traps....usually w/out snapping them!
I won't use the sticky traps. My sister used them and the instructions said that if you want to free the mouse, to use cooking oil to get it loose from the trap....she tried it, didn't work. She said that up until then, she didn't realize that mice could scream. It was horrible, didn't work, it just freaked her AND the mouse out...it was just as cruel as letting it die on the trap or pull it's own leg off.
I am VERY leary of using poison, even in the garage for exactly the reason you mentioned. Just because the eat the poison in the garage, doesn't mean they will die in there. I have no desire to double my problems.....mice AND an odor of death.....blech!
I do need to clean out my garage and have been getting it done little by little. Once that is done, I really think it will alleviate alot of the problem. Unless of course my Mensa mice have decided to take over by then, at which point, I'll be looking to move...anyone know of a low rent, high scale neighborhood where mice dare not dwell??

Old 12-16-05, 10:01 AM
T
Many refuse to use sticky traps because they are inhumane. Mice have been observed pulling away and leaving a leg behind. Snap traps and lots of them tend to be effective. Wrapping some sewing thread into the peanutbutter often gets their teeth caught and makes mouse trapping more successful.

Old 01-05-06, 10:03 AM
G
I know its not funny but thanks...after reading your story it give me my chuckle for the day.
We live in the country and get mice as soon as the crops in the fields are cut. They get in under the sill of the house between the siding and the brick foundation, then run in the basement rec room ceiling, once in a while they come down for the cat food. Like yourself our cat is 14 and deaf poor thing doesnt hear them... I purchased one of those plug in mice repellers and it does seem to work, only had two so far this season. My husband usually sets and empties the traps, lucky for me, we had one last season that was a character to trap, knick named him mighty mouse....finally we got it! to make the traps more sensative he filed the part down a little on the edges where you put the peanut butter, so they trip quicker but be careful the slightest movement sets them off.
We camp too our trailer is parked on a yearly site, in a conservation area, there was a problem with mice the first year we were there. Bounce sheets seem to keep them at bay and they hate the smell, kinda makes it nice for us when we open in the spring though.......also if you can find where they are entering, steel wool will deter them also, as they wont chew through it.
Good luck.

Last edited by gmcladee; 01-05-06 at 10:16 AM.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: