Termite protection under concrete slab?

Old 12-19-05, 05:28 PM
G
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Termite protection under concrete slab?

My foundation contractor wants us to treat the ground for termites before we pour the slab for our new addition. What should I use to treat the ground? We bought a big spray bottle at the big box, the kind to spray on the ground to kill live termites- is that the right thing to use in this case? What do we need to use?

We've never had a termite problem at this house, but I'm in a moderate termite area (Southeast Virginia). We do have an ant problem, though... Anything in particular I can do to keep ants out of the new addition?

Old 12-19-05, 06:03 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Maybe termites are not a big problem where you live. I had a porch put on in Florida and it was Code to have a termite treatment before the slab was poured. The inspector had to be there to witness it being treated and sign off before the slab was poured. Not sure if Big Box treatments would do any good over the long haul. Ants...problem everywhere. I just used bait traps when I saw an ant trail. Good luck.

Old 12-20-05, 12:30 PM
T
Professional termite treatment is recommended. Proper application and maintenance of termite contract are critical for houses built on concrete slabs.

Old 12-20-05, 06:39 PM
G
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
This is for an addition- our existing house is on a slab now and we haven't had a single termine treatment in the 5 years we've lived here as we haven't had a single termite to have to treat for. Why should I start up now? Is there something unique with pouring a slab that creates a greater risk for termites?

Old 12-21-05, 09:50 AM
T
Homes built on concrete slabs are easy targets for termites. Termites can enter a crack as small as 1/64th of an inch. Any place a wood wall rests on concrete is an easy target.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: