Trapped squirrel? Now What? More in attic!

Old 01-12-06, 02:56 PM
S
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Trapped squirrel? Now What? More in attic!

I have trapped a squirrel in a live trap and moved it outside to my patio (still in trap). After removing this one, I heard another one in my attic. I want to release the squirrel but I'm it's just going to go right back into the attic.

I need to seal the entrance but what about the one still in there? My fear is that I won't be able to trap it and it will die up there after I seal the entries.

Old 01-12-06, 09:15 PM
G
Squirrels usually enter buildings through vents, windows, construction gaps under eaves and gables, occasionally chimneys and fireplaces. They usually build nests and store food in attics, wall voids, garages and similar locations, they can also do a lot of damage, leaving food remnants, droppings, strong urine smells, gnawed holes and nesting materials which indicate their presence.
A Solution is to contact the regional office of the state department of fish and game for regulations governing the control of squirrels in your area. You can also call your pest control, they will charge you a fee to get rid of them. You can eliminate them inside a building by placing traps in the areas they are in habitating. Bait them well with nutmeats, sunflower seeds or raisins. If they are entering a building via trees or power lines, secure traps to a tree limb or rooftop to intercept them. Once the squirells have been eliminated from the building, you must seal all entry routes to the attic with sheet metal or hardware cloth. Prune off the yree limbs (if this is your case) so that they are atleast 6 feet away from the roof or any other part of the home.
Probably you are indeed correct, if you let the one go it will return, sounds like they are a pair or family (hope thats not the case) and therefore it may be advisable to get more traps and remove them completely from the area. I have heard that mothballs work well, put them in a clean dry margarine container and place the lid on, punch several holes in the lid first, or hang from the rafter in a nylon stocking, if you just put the balls in amongst the insulation and wood where they are touching, the smell will linger. (you can therefore remove them once the problem is solved and the holes are sealed)Most impotance is to seal the entry spot. I know from experience the urine smell that they leave is outrageous and very hard to get rid of the smell.
There are lots of moderators and people who post here so check back usually everyone has great ideas.
Good Luck

Old 01-12-06, 09:53 PM
Super Moderator
Received 66 Upvotes on 61 Posts
How about you take the trapped squirrel on a very long drive and release it in a place that looks like it would be happy.
Next would be to then trap the other squirrel(s) and deliver them to the same neighbourhod where you dropped the first.

Old 01-12-06, 10:15 PM
S
I'm going to take this one and do that but I read somewhere that they will just find their way back. How far is far enough? Southwest is running a buy one get one fare special right now. Just kidding.

Judging by your post, do you believe that they mate for life and need to be transported to the same location? Someone told me this today, but I thought they were joking.

Old 01-13-06, 05:11 AM
Super Moderator
Well, if the fare is quite resonable you can send them to me.
Your squirrels are likely bigger than ours and it would take less of them to make a decent stew................Only half kidding.

My personal view of squirrels and chipmonks is that they are no different than a mouse or rat.
Around my small rural property they are quite destructive and can often thwart attempts to exclude them from sheds and buildings.
If a twenty minute drive is not far enough, I might suggest that a more permanent solution might be in order...........................something short of sending them to me.

Old 01-13-06, 10:11 AM
S
I agree, squirrels are just more furry and cute, but just as destructive and disgusting. These have already removed 8 feet of insulation from my attic. I'll trap the second and send them on their way, there's lots of state parks within 30 minutes of where we live.

Thanks.

Old 01-13-06, 01:25 PM
F
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
just so you know, in many states it is illeagle to transport wild animals. that being said, i've brought many home to my place from customers renting the traps. we feed them and have plenty of room. i release racoons down the street at a large pond that backs up to several hundred acres of timberland. maybe a local exterminator would tell you how to handle the little bugger. good luck

Old 01-14-06, 06:48 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
not sure if its illegal here to transport or not.. as far as I can tell, the varmint jumped into the trap that was in the back of my truck.. by the time I got 30MILES down the road, I noticed it and decided to set it free.... can't understand it, but they keep doing that too... thought for sure they were coming back, so I accidentally spay painted the tail sections with flourescent orange paint.. never saw them again... but I'll bet other people did... ha

Old 01-14-06, 07:57 PM
F
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
ya really gota clean those acorns out of the back of the truck more often.

Old 01-14-06, 08:18 PM
Super Moderator
I'd be curious to know exactly how you held one still enough to paint its tail.
Those aren't like the squirrels I know.

Old 01-14-06, 10:22 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
they also growl like a dog up here in the PNW... it was in the live trap, so I shot the paint through the trap. they have nasty teeth and are extremely fast up here... but the paint was faster...

Old 01-23-06, 10:02 PM
S
Shirl if free

I patched all of the holes and screened the rooftop vents and set Shirl free.

Funniest scene when I opened the trap to set it free. Ran full speed into two fences before finally scaling the fence and heading off.

Thanks for the sugggestions.

Don't know how I'll know if it has returned, didn't have any spray paint....

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: