Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

German Cockroaches

02-08-06, 04:26 AM   #1 (permalink)  
German Cockroaches

I need some serious help getting rid of these things. I have used bombs as well as that paste and roach traps. I have them in my electrical items in rooms where there isn't any water and they have ruined several DVD players. We don't have much carpet left but we do have hamsters and a guinea pig and we do not want poison down that they could get into, as hamsters are notorious escape artists. Years ago we had a really bad case in a modular home and even professional pest control did not help in the slightest. I finally heard about misting and I asked them to do this in my house as a last resort. The man started before we got out the door, and as soon as he started the mist the roaches started dropping from the ceiling and from the walls. I have never seen so many roaches before. Well I have called pest control services and was told that they no longer do the mist. I can understand this because once we had it done we never saw another roach in that house and they can't stay in business I guess without repeating their sprays. I'd like to have it done here but nobody seems to do it. These roaches were a 'gift' from someone who had a bad infestation at their house and who did laundry at ours. These stupid things came over in their laundry and decided to stay with us. Please help, I can't stand these awful things. We have young children here who are crumb crushers so its hard to keep from having some small food items somewhere.

Sponsored Links

OH

02-09-06, 08:00 PM   #2 (permalink)  
Bombs and sprays kill only the roaches who come in contact with the insecticide. These do nothing for the unhatched roaches in protective egg cases. For severe infestation, it is best to go with a professional exterminator. A residual insecticide spray will likely be applied to baseboards and powdered boric acid will be puffed in nooks and crannies. Residual insecticide will kill those who come in contact. Boric acid is a bait that gets carried back to the colony where it comes in contact with other roaches. Monthly treatment will likely be in order and will need to be continued until there are no more roaches. Store food in airtight containers and practice good sanitation to eliminate food sources.

03-31-06, 07:15 PM   #3 (permalink)  
A repellant residual spray will not do much. The roaches will get smart and avoid it. You need to use a bait that they are not averse to. Avert dry bait,or transport bait, but licensed applicators are only allowed to apply it in Minnesota. Don't know laws in your state. An Insect growth regulator will help also, these are all non-repellant , so the roach won't know what its picking up. If no food is present from good sanitation methods, roaches will eat each other and their own feces. They will always find a way to survive. Call a professional, it will save you money, time, and a possible liability or worse problem.

04-01-06, 01:48 AM   #4 (permalink)  
Call a professional, it will save you money, time, and a possible liability or worse problem.

What do you mean liability or worse?

04-01-06, 09:23 AM   #5 (permalink)  
You said you have used bug bombs. They can pose a fire hazard and health hazards and are basically pointless because they don't attack at the source of the problem. You are not trained in applying pesticides so something might happen and someone could get sick from misapplied pesticides.

04-01-06, 12:17 PM   #6 (permalink)  
I'm with the other 2. A combination of bait (Avert, Maxforce, etc.) along with boric acid should eventually put a stop to them. Forget the fogging(mist) and residual sprays. Those went the way of the dodo when decent baits came to the market. And yes, you will probably need a pro, they will save you a headache.

And as for the bug bombs, has anyone ever seen Mythbusters when they let about 5 or 6 go in that house? They purposely created a spark and KABOOM!!! Blew all the windows out. I wouldn't want that to be my house.

Good luck,

Jay

04-01-06, 12:39 PM   #7 (permalink)  
Posted By: weekendwarrior0 A repellant residual spray will not do much. The roaches will get smart and avoid it. You need to use a bait that they are not averse to. Avert dry bait,or transport bait, but licensed applicators are only allowed to apply it in Minnesota. Don't know laws in your state. An Insect growth regulator will help also, these are all non-repellant , so the roach won't know what its picking up. If no food is present from good sanitation methods, roaches will eat each other and their own feces. They will always find a way to survive. Call a professional, it will save you money, time, and a possible liability or worse problem.
I agree roaches (especially german ones) are some of the worst pests to get rid of. Doesn't matter how clean you are after an infestation. I read something once where a roach can survive for a couple weeks off a few skin cells you might scratch from your arm. The only home method I have seen to be effective at all is the Combat gold bait traps where roaches bring poison back to thier nest. That might be a good prevenative but no substitute for a professional.

CT

04-01-06, 05:32 PM   #8 (permalink)  
Does anybody tent anymore? I remember years ago (40) living in an apartment building that had a roach infestation. After several attempts at baiting, misting, regular spraying by Orkin etc. the tenants *****ed enough that the owners had the entire building tented and it fixed the problem. Permanently. I lived there another 3 years and they never returned. We had to be out for a couple of days but it was worth it to get rid of the nasty little buggers.

04-01-06, 10:38 PM   #9 (permalink)  
Not entirely familiar with US commercial roach bombs, but would imagine that at least some of them contain an Insect Growth Regulator (IGR).
That being the case, those bombs will take care of newly hatched nymphs and prevent them developing to the next instar. German Roaches pass through seven nymphal instars where they shed their skin and increase in size with each moult. IGR's prevent this and they die very quickly when this occurs.
Look for a bomb that states that it contains an Insect Growth Regulator.

Search this Thread