Slugs everywhere inside my home

Old 02-11-06, 04:30 AM
dr1v3r
Visiting Guest
Slugs everywhere inside my home

Hi i am wondering if anyone has any ideas on how i can solve this pest problem that i have.

Every morning when i wake i find slug trails in every room that is downstairs. I have tried slug pellets but this has not worked they still seam to be getting past the pellets.

I was going to try salt as i know that salt will kil them, but the problem i have is i have a young baby that is crawling and as everyone knows that has children they will pick up anything, and the last thing i want is to find my baby picking up a dead slug or even a live slug and then putting it in his mouth.

Please does anyone have any suggestions on how to rid my home of these damn slugs please.

Thank You
Mick

Old 02-11-06, 02:13 PM
B
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
damn slugs

mick,
first i would locate the point of entry of these beasts and close it up, then, i would apply rock salt around the outside of the home. it applies better than the pellets and allows for a better coverage plus it's dirt cheap.

barry

Old 02-12-06, 01:22 AM
dr1v3r
Visiting Guest
Hi Brent thank you for the reply. I will goto the town in the morning and see if i can track down so rock salt. What would you recommend closing the entry points up with? Would the sealant that you can get in the long tube work? The sort of stuff that you put in one of them long gun things?

sorry for thw wording i dont have a clue what you call these things haha

Thank You again it is greatly appreciated.

Mick

Old 02-12-06, 03:07 PM
B
caulk gun, yes.
barry

Old 02-15-06, 01:59 PM
T
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Avoid use of rock salt around foundation plantings, as it will kill them. Sealing entries is the best control. Make sure there are no gaps under doors where slugs may enter. Seal gaps around pipes beneath sinks and gaps where wires and pipes enter the home.

Old 03-19-06, 06:40 AM
R
I heard that slugs are attracted to smell of beer and will climb into any container that holds it and will drown. Try placing some shallow containers of beer throughout your lawn or garden area and in the area of suspected entry. it may help if you dig out a small hole in your garden so that the container is level with the soil surface. I heard of this idea more then I can count, so it must work.

Old 03-22-06, 07:01 PM
T
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Diatomaceous earth (fossilized shells) can be safely used in flower beds. Because slugs have soft bodies that produce slime to aid in movement, they do not like to travel over scratchy, rough surfaces. The barrier will have to be replaced after it rains. The jagged edges of diatomaceous earth acts as a deterrent to slugs. Seaweed is salty and rough when dried and can be used as a barrier to deter slugs.

Old 03-22-06, 08:17 PM
B
12pole,
the best effect that d.e. has, is the ability to draw moisture from the critters that they come in contact with , with snails and slugs it's a no-brainer, it's just not that a lot of people know. it's also good in a lot of other pest control programs, i only mentioned the rock salt as a quick remendy, but it is not a cure-all, you just have to be careful how the d.e. is applied. it is a micro-dust, so make sure if you choose to use it WEAR A DUST MASK!!!!!. protect yourself with gloves and other protection gear.
please note: that this is NOT a quick kill type of bug, slug,etc. it will take a little time. let us know if this helped solve your problem, there are others that would like to know.

barry

Old 03-29-06, 12:37 AM
D
I had a terrible problem with slugs on my front porch a few years ago and the beer trick cleaned it up in 3 days and I have had no problems since.

I put out 3 pie tins with a can of beer emptied into each one.

Each morning I woke up to 35-40 slugs dead in each pie tin.

toss slugs into the garbage and drink up the beer!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: