Please Help me identify this smell

Old 03-22-06, 01:09 PM
J
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Please Help me identify this smell

Hi, I removed a partition wall during a minor renovaton and found a TON of mouse droppings in it. I also created an opening in the attic and am finding burrows from mice there also as well as seed and alot of droppings. I put out a couple of traps and caught only 2. They appear to be living in the attic insulation.

The room is now back together and I just painted kilz on the walls but there is a terrible wet dog smell coming from the room which has hardwood floors (but a bit dusty still).

We've been in the house 7 mos and they had a dog but after cleaning we still have the smell. Could that wet dog smell have gotten into the floors? Would refinishing solve it?

Or could the smell be somehow from all the mice droppings I am finding?
please help. my wife is freaking out.
BTW: I NOW know too late not to pick up the droppings with a vaccum.!

Old 03-22-06, 06:41 PM
T
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
If house is built over a crawl space you should investigate there for infestation, moisture issues that could be causing odor, or other problems. An 8 mil minimum vapor retarder overlapped 4", taped at seams and run up foundation and taped will keep moisture emissions from coming into home. Wet wood has the smell of a wet dog. Check for leaks and wet wood. While in crawl space check to see if insulation was properly installed (also infested with mice) with vapor retarder side facing up toward heated floor above. If vapor retarder is facing down toward soil condensation behind insulation can cause wet wood.

You did not say that the odor smelled like urine, but dog urine that seeps through gaps in flooring settles into subfloor. The odor is more noticeable on warm, humid days. Usually urine stains on wood floors is evidence of pet accidents. If urine is beneath hardwood flooring, there is no way to clean it. This would require removing flooring and sealing subfloor.

If odor is urine and was not noticeable or became stronger after discovering mice infestation, then the source of the odor can be mice urine. Special precautions should be taken when cleaning up infestation: http://www.ehso.com/ehshome/hantavirus_faqs.htm Infested insulation will need to be removed. Do not stir up any dust. Do not vacuum droppings. Wear dust mask and rubber gloves.

Keep us posted on your odor problem. In the meantime purchase an enzyme digester deodorizer that helps control organic odors. These are marketed under different names such as Out, OdoBan, Nature's Miracle and others. These are liquid concentrates that can be used for a variety of organic cleaning and deodorizing problems.

Old 03-23-06, 02:11 PM
J
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
THanks,
I picked up some natures miricle and will try it out. I'm also going to paint the room this weekend and scrub the floor w/murphy's oil soap. We're putting carpet in the room over the wood floors so I really want to isolate and fix the problem before covering it up.

Structurally speaking,
The room is on the 2nd floor of a cape cod style house. There is a crawl space in the front but it is sealed behind a wall. There is also a chimney outside the bedroom wall but no real signs of wettness.

I've crawled around in the crawlspace attic above and found many indications of burrows and mice droppings. Should I just removed all that insulation and call a pest inspector and then re-insulate??

When is it time to just rip out the burrowed old insulation and start over?
Thanks forthe help,
Jason

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: