Carpenter ant problem!

Old 03-23-06, 06:32 PM
O
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Carpenter ant problem!

We are having a problem with carpenter ants, and they are huge, from what I have seen on the net, I would say they are major workers... tuesday morning I set 6 aerosol bug bombs off in the house, and then saw nothing other than dead ants until today. I have seen 2 some what active ants today, and probably another dozen or so that are still alive, but not really moving around and are kind of "balled" up... Keep in mind we vacuumed the whole house and the 'balled up' ones are out in the open so I know they are "fresh" ones, not left overs.... I am really frustrated now, we tried the ant baits and drops etc with no luck to start, the appearances are fairly random, no clear ant trails etc to follow, and now it appears the bombs didn't solve the problem either? : ( I really don't want to have to call in a professional, I unfortunately can't really afford that right now... any advice folks???

thanks
Matthew

Old 03-24-06, 05:20 AM
O
Just curious, these ants that are "balled up" but still somewhat alive, would these be ants which have come out of the nest to forage for food, but are being affected/killed by the residual effect of the insect bombs? if this is true, then I would have to assume that there was not enough "penetration" from the bombs to reach and kill the nest?

Thanks for any insight

Matthew

Old 03-24-06, 06:30 AM
I have included a link that you can read to help solve your problem. (you may have to copy and paste it). It gives some good information on how to find and kill the ants. Good luck.

http://lancaster.unl.edu/pest/resources/CarpAnt004.shtml

Old 03-25-06, 03:03 PM
R
Have you tried Orthro's Diazinon granules? Try to locate their nest. Look for small piles of ground up wood which they will dump outside the entrance of the nest. I have used this product with excellent results. If you cannot find the nest, then place some granules where you see their activity. If you have children or pets, this may present a problem, so be careful. If I recall correctly, the way this product works is when the ants make contact with the bait, it is carried back to the nest and kills the young and this stops their reproduction and then the colony dies off. The nest was in the base of a tree. Check around the outside of your property also.

Old 03-26-06, 04:35 PM
Unfortunately, you may not have a choice but to call a pro. Carpenter ants are one of the most difficult pest that we treat, in my opinion. This is a main reason why the price is farily expensive.

The key definitely is to locate the nest. You can use all the bait you want, but due to their wide variety of food, I find it is very difficult to kill them off using this method. Once I manage to estimate where the nest is, often inside a wall, I usually drill/dust wall voids.

There are a couple of ways to locate a nest. Look for sawdust that the ants spit out as they hollow nesting areas through the wood. This is a tell-tale sign as to where they are located. However, this sawdust is not always visible. Another way is to keep an eye out for concentrations of live ants. This may tell you an approximate area where the ants may be. You could always just sit there and watch them as well. This will be a long process, guaranteed.

They may cause serious structural problems if left unattended. I've seen 4 x 4's that I could snap with my hands, the damage was so bad. If all else fails, call a pro. They can give you an estimate and many offer year-long guarantees.

Good luck,

Jay

Old 04-09-06, 11:31 AM
S
From my experience the only way to get rid of carpenter ants is to find the nest in the wall cavity all other methods are wasting your money. My daughter has this problem and this is new to me but one exterminator said you also have to find the nest in the neighborhood, this is the main nest the one in your house is just a sattelite. Is this fact or bull? Thanks

Old 04-11-06, 09:57 PM
T
Carpenter ants do have satellite nests. The main nest could be indoors or outdoors in the landscape. The key is locating the nests. Bombs and sprays will affect only those ants who come in contact with the insecticide.

Old 04-12-06, 02:13 AM
S
Thank You!

Old 04-22-06, 05:50 AM
W
what are the best carpenter ant pesticides available to the general public, for spraying wall voids?

thanks

Old 04-22-06, 06:34 PM
T
Not all chemicals are available in all areas. Check at your local garden center for a powdered control for carpenter ants. Your local Dept. of Agriculture Extension Agent can provide you with info on chemical controls in your area. You will need a powder that can be puffed into wall voids.

Old 04-22-06, 08:50 PM
S
FYI to the post mentioning Diazinon...it has been taken off the market per EPA ruling.There are substitutes available...qualified help at a hardware store or garden center as well as agricultural agents can help you with this.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: