Any easy way to eliminate crickets from basement????

Old 03-30-06, 05:14 PM
D
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Question Any easy way to eliminate crickets from basement????

Help! They're back! They scare the heck out of me and, while I know we need to seal off the basement, I need something to do about it until we do so they don't keep multiplying. I'm afraid to go down there!

We also have two young children so I don't want to hire an exterminator to spray all of our things only to have these pests return. I don't know when we'll deal with the basement issue of sealing it all off but it won't be within the next couple of mos, I know.

Any ideas? TIA!

Old 03-30-06, 05:32 PM
S
Group Moderator
Received 98 Votes on 86 Posts
Glue traps. Put them along the wall and in the corners of the rooms. If you're ok with chemicals outside, spraying 3' around the outside of the house kills most who want in.

Old 03-31-06, 06:26 AM
D
Thank you

I appreciate your response. I'll have to have my husband go down there and throw out the traps - yecch! I hate bugs but these things really creep me out!

I'll mention spraying the outside but I need to find out what less toxic materials can be used because my kids do play outside especially now that the weather is nicer. Maybe keeping them in for a few days will be ok.

Old 03-31-06, 07:48 AM
T
A monthly application of residual insecticide spray on foundation and on soil around perimeter of house tends to keep insect pests at bay. Spray door thresholds and window sills to exclude insects. When spraying keep children indoors. Once dry, it is likely that children will not be playing near foundation or in beds flanking foundation. Sealing entries to exclude insect pests is also important. Make sure doors and windows seal properly and that weather strips beneath doors are intact and there are no gaps. Seal around pipes beneath sinks and where wires and pipes enter the home. Seal any gaps or cracks in foundation.

Old 04-11-06, 01:15 PM
S
Group Moderator
Received 98 Votes on 86 Posts
I'm going to assume this was an attempt at humor. Buying a lizard is not a practical solution to this problem.

Last edited by twelvepole; 04-18-06 at 08:28 AM.
Old 04-12-06, 10:02 PM
C
MODERATOR NOTE: Sarcasm not allowed in forums.

Last edited by twelvepole; 04-18-06 at 08:29 AM.
Old 04-13-06, 08:46 PM
B
first, chris was funny, but not a real way to solve the issue.
like you and others, have already stated, remove the access points to the structure, the crickets really don't want to be in your home, they just hopped in there by mistake, this time of year they are looking for their lady friends. there isn't enough bug spray that you could put down(with out causing you harm) that can control the critters. their drive to reproduce, as well as a lot of seasonal pests makes the control up to the homeowner, make sure that all access points are covered ,put a surround base of pesticides (around the structure),and keep it up. let us know how it goes, with you questions you may help others,

barry

Old 04-17-06, 09:14 PM
J
This forum suggests that if a poll was conducted, pest controllers and their services are not popular and that pesties only provide disapointment, not a worthwhile service.
There are ways of providing a chemical barrier that will eliminate the cricket problem whilst being safe for your kids.
Dont use the big, big companies that are continually advertising on TV. Go use a small operator who has to provide service and satisfaction. Talk to them, and if they cant offer a safe service try another.

MODERATOR NOTE: Put-downs are not allowed in forums.

Last edited by twelvepole; 04-18-06 at 08:30 AM.
Old 04-18-06, 08:33 AM
T
Sealing entries and regular application of residual insecticide on foundation and around perimeter of structure will keep most insect pests and their predators at bay. For those who do not want to DIY, then the application can be applied by a pest professional. Pest professionals have chemicals available to them that are not available to consumers.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: