a new way to kill fleas ??

Old 03-30-06, 09:59 PM
R
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
a new way to kill fleas ??

I have a small flea problem ( and yes ) I an working to kill them, however, after some small tests I still have a problem

what I was wondering was will fleas be attracted to a bug zapper, do they like that light ??

can you drown fleas in the swimming pool ???

I have ran the folowing tests and these are the results

1. Adams flea and tick shampoo - a nickle size dab on a paper towel in a zip lock, 10-15 days later fleas are still seen alive in baggie.

2. store bought flea and tick collor - 10 days later fleas are still crawling on coller inside zip lock

3. front line spray - 2 squirts in zip lock, no live fleas after 3 days, but this spray was really for ticks

any thoughts on the bug zapper or the swimming pool, they are now coated with frontline plus and awaiting the results....thanks

Old 03-31-06, 04:08 AM
How are you going to get the fleas to jump into the pool ??

Frontline or Advantage. We use Frontline on a Beagle and 2 cats. We have no fleas anymore.

Old 03-31-06, 07:41 AM
T
Fleas in the landscape? Treat lawn with granular insecticide. This will offer control for other insects as well. Whether you have pets or not, fleas can get carried indoors on humans socks, shoes, and pants.

Old 03-31-06, 03:42 PM
Advantage reccommended here as well. These products killed flea buisness for exterminators. I should know. I still do some flea work here and there, but it's for those that can not afford Advantage.

Jay

Old 04-01-06, 08:02 AM
R
UPDATE , Dogs went swimming and them got a coat of Frontline plus, water seemed to get rid of them for now, also treated the yard with Hi-Yield 38 plus bug killer thru garden sprayer in back yard, hope the bug stuff works.

I need a suggestion for spraying, we have about 1.4 acres thats grass, dogs roam on about 1/2 acre in the back, should I spray just the perimeter of the 1/2 and the 1/2 acre ???........what about those small tank type sprayers that are about $ 110-$ 150 at TSC or others, worth the investment ?, I do have a small lawn tractor...compared to the cost of having someone come out and spray that 1/2 was $ 80 per application, would pay for itself afer 2 sprays...thanks for the help

Old 04-01-06, 09:52 PM
J
Rent!! Correct, fleas are attracted to light, although not hugely so.
You can suspend a bright light over a basin of water and fleas will jump to the light and will probaly land in the water.
Problem is, fleas are able to float/swim as they have trapped air bubbles on their body. To prevent this occurring, the surface tension of the water needs to be reduced so that they sink to the bottom where they will eventually drown.
This can be done by adding a little dish washing detergent to the water.
Another method you can try (with limited success) is to sprinkle talcum powder over your carpets. Talc is abrasive and has a tendency to damage the softer tissue of the joints (known as chittin). Once chittin is damaged, fungal attack takes place and the insect will eventually die.
Probably more beneficial would be to vacuum the crap out of your floors and lounges etc, giving particular attention to skirtingboard/floor junctions.
Ideally, you really should be engaging a licenced pest controller, because if all these home cures worked all that well, we pest controllers would not be in business LOL

Old 04-03-06, 05:52 PM
R
update 2

the bug zapper definately does not work to kill fleas, has it plugged it next top the dog beds for 3 hours and never a snap,crackle, pop or BUZZZZZZZZ

Old 04-03-06, 06:04 PM
T
tux
We own 3 dogs and 2 cats, so fleas are a thing we know alot about. After trying pretty much all the sprays and other products on the market I have a few suggestions as to what works.

1) Bathe the animals starting by lathering the neck 1st as fleas will travel up their body and try to escape. This will kill some of the fleas and is the 1st line of defense. It is also a good method to keep from getting a re-infestation.

2) Advantage, our dogs are treated with this stuff and it works wonders, will help take care of any flea infestation.

3) Vacuum and wash, to get the eggs and alot of fleas the carpets must be vacuumed daily, pet bedding and anything else that may have came in contact should also be washed.

4) Granular insecticide as twelvepole said.

Remember fleas will also live on humans as well once the pets have been treated so washing of bedding and vacuuming are critical.

You could also add some brewers yeast and garlic to the pets diet as they help combat fleas.

Old 05-28-06, 08:59 AM
Kerrville Clean
Visiting Guest
Life cycle needs attention

In order to get rid of fleas in the environment, the life cycle of the flea needs to be treated...I liked Tux's approach, but a very important process of the treatment, is the re-treatment of the elements in 10 days to 2 weeks....Advantage & Frontline are great products and both work on the adult flea....Advantage destroys the chittin and Frontline works like a nervous breakdown....Nothing will pentrate the larva stage, which is why it is so important for re-treatment in the environment...Once the life-cycle is broken, using the Adv/Frontline monthly and fleas will be gone....Also, be sure when you vacuum to destroy the vacuum bag, as it also contains fleas....Do not!!! use any product (usually OTC) on cats...that is for dogs only!! thinking the stronger the better...
Remember...attack the life cycle...Garlic and Brewer's yeast has some effect, only on the adult flea, but has more effect (yuk!), on your dog's breath! Always follow mfg. directions before use, and utilize their 800# for any questions...

Old 05-30-06, 05:39 AM
M
You have a pool? Do you have a DE filter on it? Use the DE to sprinkle on your lawn. It's just like talc and will kill them and other pests. Use it directly on your dogs if you like. Even sprinkle on your carpets. It is safe for household pets and humans. The only drawback is that it will also kill the beneficials. Lady bugs, praying mantis, etc.

Use Precore mixed in with any insecticide to spray inside. It renders larvae and young fleas sterile so they cannot reproduce. You must use it once a week for three weeks to do a thorough job. Precore hangs around a lot longer than the insecticide itself so even after the insecticide kills what it comes into contact with and dissipates, the precore still works.

Old 06-13-06, 07:17 PM
P
killing fleas !

Hey fellow bug guys. 13 year pest vet here. My neighbor has had a problem with flees on his dog. His dog is an outside dog only. He has had a prob. with flees for a few months. He and i would get rid of them and they would return. Come to find out some spots were open in his fence (varments) and he left dog food out for the dog and the aquirels would get it. I just asked him to give his dog less food so each time the bowl would be empty. I think thats how they were returning. Rainy season has started so i wont know for sure now. Just a few ideas to share

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: