looks like bumble bees [carpenter bees]

Old 04-01-06, 09:53 PM
O
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
looks like bumble bees [carpenter bees]

i live in ala. on the under side of my rafters which holds up my pato roof.i have (it looks like bumble bees) digging holes in my wood.they drill a perfect round hole and then crawl inside these holes. i must have about 20 holes in my studs by now. i do have a very large oak tree hanging over my house and i do see bees in the tree area also. but there is more under my patio digging a away.can someone tell me what kinda bee this is and how to get rid of them? i can send a pic of the bees and there holes if it'll help. thanks.1nascarfan.!!!!!!

Old 04-02-06, 10:04 AM
S
What you are dealing with are Carpenter Bees.There are a variety of products that are effective.Go to your local hardware store or garden center and ask qualified help to assist you in picking out which product is best for your particular situation.Avoid big box stores as you will get no real assistance.

Old 04-02-06, 06:38 PM
B
hey nascar fan,
david is correct in i.d.' ing the insects that are invading your home.
carpenter bees are like salmon they want to go back to the place/area of their birth, to break that chain, you need to get rid of all of them.
what i have done in the past is to plug the holes that they have drilled, with caulk(preferably while they are in there, dusk, night).
and/or use sevin dust(that you can get at big box stores), and put it in the holes that they drilled. it may take a week or two, but the bees will be under control. i didn't go into the complete biology of the carpenter bee, because you can google/ search that sort of info yourself(not trying to be mean, but the info can help you in the future). i hope some of this info helps, let us know how everything works out, you may help others.

barry

Old 04-03-06, 10:14 PM
O
thanks for the info.i know more now than when i asked for help.never heard of such a bee,but it makes sense. thank again.

Old 04-04-06, 04:51 PM
T
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
You will need to puff powdered insecticide into holes. This is best done at dusk when bees have returned to their nests. Wear long sleeves and pants and carry aerosol spray just in case. Give the bees a few days until you see there is no activity. Plug and seal holes. Carpenter bees are less attracted to painted surfaces.

Old 04-10-06, 09:31 PM
O
thanks

i'm learning more and more about these (what i thought was common bees. i love this site.!!

Old 06-03-06, 05:38 AM
G
Stick a moth ball in the hole before calking.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: