Mining Bees that need to go

Old 04-18-06, 04:27 PM
D
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mining Bees that need to go

I have discovered a large group of low to the ground nest building bees that I believe to be mining bees,setting up their home in the most unacceptable location (the dog pen). Does anyone have any idea how to convince them to leave with out pesticides.

The dogs would really appreciate any help they can get.

Dorothy

Old 04-18-06, 10:40 PM
H
organic pest control..

EcoPCO (ecosmart) makes quite a few products that may help you. do a search -- i think their site is ecosmart.com. there you can locate a distributor of their products.

also, here's a link to the Iowa State University's site dealing with these critters :
http://www.ipm.iastate.edu/ipm/hortn.../miningbe.html

you might also try garlic oil... sprayed around the nest site, but be careful!

Old 04-19-06, 03:32 PM
D
Thank you for the organic site. I will see if they have anything that will work. All the info I was able to find says these little guys shouldn't be harmful and should be going on their merry way in a couple of weeks. I did water the area really well last night and this morning, but haven't been out to check it yet this afternoon.

Thanks for the advice,
Dorothy

Old 04-19-06, 04:02 PM
T
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
After their activity is over, you can cover the area with landscape cloth and mulch.

Old 04-20-06, 03:48 PM
D
Not sure that would work since it is in the dog pen and I am sure they would tear it up and ear any mulch I laid down.

Old 04-21-06, 09:45 PM
H
tiller, or not to till

Just happened to be talking with the local expert on this subject today...and mining bees came up. He suggested that after the little guys move out, till up the soil using a rototiller or even a shovel where the bees had a nest. Something about destroying their nesting site, kind of similar to carpenter bees in that respect. He also indicated that if at all possible, prevent bare patches in your yard. Keep the grass growing and the bees will generally look elsewhere for a nesting site.
Oh, and try hot pepper spray to repel them. Said that most large home & garden stores should carry this in with the pesticides and fertilizers...

another quick fix suggestion is to "flush" them out with a hose. Lay a garden hose on the ground by their holes and let it run for 10 minutes or so to totally saturate or flood the area. I know it's in a dog pen and the mud....

Good luck

Old 04-28-06, 02:39 PM
D
I used the hose idea... it seemed to work. Prefer the mud to bees. I don't think i can avoid bare patches since it is the dog pen but I wonder if I put gravel in there if that would help.

They don't seem to be there now.
Dorothy

Old 04-28-06, 05:40 PM
T
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Activity is for a short while only. You can mulch with gravel, but put landscape cloth down first to prevent grass and weeds from growing in gravel. Gravel can be raked to keep tidy.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: