Bees in a hole

Old 04-25-06, 01:48 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bees in a hole

I have what look like honey bees nesting in the access hole that houses my sprinkler system backflow prevention valves. I noticed several coming and going from the key hole in the top and when I tapped on the cover with my foot (and jumped back), several (more than 10) came out. Obviously, I can't take the cover off to see what's going on or to get anything into the area to discourage them from staying, but I need to get them out of there since I have to be able to get to the valves. Any advice? Are these honey bees? I've never seen them nest anywhere but a tree or man made hive before.

Doug M.

Old 04-26-06, 10:07 AM
D
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
There are ground nesting bees but I know nothing about access hole...your sprinkler system valve thing so I'm assuming it's on the ground? Is it the thing that turns the water on? In any case "ground" nesting bees exist.

I assume you know what they look like so...are they any of these?

http://ohioline.osu.edu/hyg-fact/2000/2143.html

If so, it has instructions on how to handle them.

Old 04-26-06, 09:05 PM
B
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
seems like you have a formation of a new honeybee hive, go to lowes, home depot,etc, get a dust pump applicator, put sevin dust in it and apply it to the access points. i really hate to kill honeybees, but when they are getting to the house, it's them or me. it may take a while for the stuff to work, but it will remove the problem. let us know if this helped, others would like to know.

barry

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: