Slimy Stalagtites!!!

Old 05-04-06, 11:50 AM
L
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Slimy Stalagtites!!!

Hi all,

I have slimy stalagtites on my ceilings, or slimy trails (only 3 to 5 inch long) on walls, somtimes white with bubles, sometimes yellowish. when the slime dries , it becomes crusty. It is hard to clean and remove.

I have a picture here: http://alienslime.blogspot.com/

Thanks for your help

Old 05-04-06, 04:34 PM
D
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
Alien slime huh? Sorry if this is a dumb question, but that is caused by a pest of some sort?

What have you tried to get it off with so far?

Old 05-04-06, 07:21 PM
T
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
The only way to know for sure what is going on is to cut into the ceiling. Moisture issues? Honey bee nest?

Old 05-05-06, 07:03 AM
L
It is very strange. There seems to be nothing on the other side of the ceiling, no trace of humidity. and it can also appear of furniture, doors. I'm going to take more pictures and post them a little later. If it is caused by a bug, I never see one leave the slimy spot. In one however, there seems to be a black organic element leftover, like if the embryo died in it, or the bug left a body part. It is very small, maybe 2 millimeter long, and stuck in the goo. I really hope someone can help me on this... it is pretty disgusting.

Old 05-05-06, 09:57 AM
D
Yes, please post back some more photos. Seems very interesting and I'd like to know what it is!

So you've never seen any bugs or anything huh?

You said it "can appear on furniture, doors..." ...so it "can" or it "has" already?

Old 05-05-06, 01:49 PM
L
Question More traces of Aliens... More mysterious photos...

http://alienslime.blogspot.com/

Should I call ghostbusters?

By the way, what is DIY ?

Old 05-05-06, 02:28 PM
D
That's pretty gross. I have no clue. Looks like slimy snakes were on there or something...I mean ghosts. hee hee. I'm sure someone'll post something for you.

DIY is "Do It Yourself"

Old 05-05-06, 03:40 PM
L
Arrow

Oh, okay, I should have known... I do a lot of things myself too... ;-)

I hope I can get an answer! do you know other sites that could help my predicament?

tks

Old 05-05-06, 04:55 PM
T
You might search drywall fungus, but my search did not turn up anything to confirm this. Fungus is associated with moisture issues, either leaks or drywall installed over moisture laden wood and can affect drywall.

The yellow sap looking substance made me think of honey bee nests which are not uncommon in structures and honey drips through ceilings and walls.

A couple of your new photos tend to show a 'bug hole'--perhaps an exit for an adult wood boring insect that matured from larvae that created damage. Again, moisture issues come to mind. These can be secondary to poor ventilation above or behind the drywall. You did not indicate if this was a room over which is an attic or a downstairs room under a second floor or age of structure. Inadequate ventilation, vents exhausted into attics, and lack of vapor retarder are some potential causes of excess moisture due to high humidity. The only way to rule out insects is to call a professional exterminator.

Sorry, but I am still stuck on humidity and moisture issues.

Overpressuration of the structure can cause moisture issues: Insufficient return-air venting, leaky heating & air-conditioning ducts, closed doors, upgrading the exterior "shell" (siding, windows, doors, soffits, etc.), in an older home. Overpressuration causes moisture to be forced behind drywall. A too tight home can cause moisture and humidity issues. A house needs to breathe.

Stalactites typically form on surfaces where excess moisture results in build up of mineral deposits as moisture passes through the surface. Stalactites are not uncommon on leaky plaster ceilings. As moisture passes through plaster and drywall on ceilings, mineral buildup can produce stalactites. Most internet forum discussions on this topic tend to address how to repair, but they tend not to address the cause. If the cause of a problem is not addressed, all efforts tend to be for naught.

Excess moisture can attract wood boring insects. My research turned up no pix that matched yours. If wood boring insects are the culprits, then a professional exterminator should be called. Again, this will probably require cutting into affected area to assess insect and moisture issues and resolution of your problem. (Cutting into ceiling will probably answer your questions!)

You can hire a home inspector to help determine ventilation and other issues. You can hire a professional exterminator to address insect issues. A mold abatement pro can identify any type of mold or fungi.

Whatever you find out, we ask that you share with us your findings.

Last edited by twelvepole; 05-05-06 at 05:42 PM.
Old 05-10-06, 01:30 AM
J
Lindberg, try this site
http://REFERRING POSTERS TO OTHER DISCUSSION FORUMS TO FIND ANSWERS IS NOT ALLOWED.

Last edited by twelvepole; 05-12-06 at 03:21 PM.
Old 05-11-06, 07:55 AM
L
ok thanks, I'll let you know if I get something...

Old 05-16-06, 08:16 PM
L
Angry New Slime on my Lamp

Happened tonight, while I was elsewhere.

you can see it on

http://alienslime.blogspot.com/

"Stalactites typically form on surfaces where excess moisture results in build up of mineral deposits as moisture passes through the surface."

If the slime appears on a metal surface like my lamp, doesn't that eliminate the "moisture" hypothesis?

Old 05-17-06, 10:28 AM
D
Did that appear out of nowhere? ...did you look above the ceiling or whatever is right above it...was there anything there? A hole? Any marks, traces of anything? Or was it clean? This is interesting and gross.

Old 05-17-06, 04:24 PM
T
Deposit on lamp obvious came from above and ran down. Moisture from leaks or condensation tend to leach the minerals from walls and ceilings and form chalky deposits on surface. Moisture meter in affected areas can reveal moisture content. Investigation of source of problem should be done without delay. If moisture is an issue, there are concerns about mold issues and damage to structure.

Old 05-17-06, 05:10 PM
M
Ever consider bats in the bellfrey? Does the slime have a smell? Have you considered taking a sample to a local college with an entymology department?

Old 05-17-06, 07:55 PM
L
AGain, another one, this time from ceiling in kitchen

I want to adress some comments here folks, from your response (thank you):

"Ever consider bats in the bellfrey? Does the slime have a smell? Have you considered taking a sample to a local college with an entymology department?"
No, there can't be bats. It doesn't smell anything. This is in a row house, in the middle of a city. It's happening in all the rooms. Sometimes the slime forms a stalagtite, sometimes there is not enough, and there is only a small circle.
Havent tried college expert nor pest control expert yet...

"Deposit on lamp obvious came from above and ran down. " No. There is absolutely no trace above,or elsewhere on the lamp.

"Moisture from leaks or condensation tend to leach the minerals from walls and ceilings and form chalky deposits on surface. Moisture meter in affected areas can reveal moisture content." There is a leak in the bathtub, upstairs. Could that affect the entire 3 levels of the house? I saw some slime in the basement.
There is no leak coming from ceilings or walls. Some slime appears on metal or plastic objects, dry objects.
Some windows are always at least a little bit open.

"Did that appear out of nowhere? ...did you look above the ceiling or whatever is right above it...was there anything there? A hole? Any marks, traces of anything? Or was it clean? This is interesting and gross."
Actually there is no trace leading to the slime or leaving it. They seem to appear right in the middle of something, out of nowhere. Could that be moisture-caused slime? is it possible on varnished wood, metal, PVC, dry walls?

There seems to be some black material in the slime, but not all the time, also.
Some one suggested Phlem ? I don't know what that is really?

I'm adding a new photo on the blog. That one was pretty big. This is not a joke.

We are 4 individuals living together,

Old 05-18-06, 05:27 AM
M
Why not now consider the possibility of an indoor slime mold? Go out and buy yourself one of these mold test kits available at any of the big box building centers. See if you have a lot of mold spores floating around your house. At least you could rule that out.

I looked back but did not see your reply to having pets. Any pets in the house? Ferrets, for example?

Old 05-18-06, 07:09 AM
L
No, no pets ( fish in a fish tank though)

I didn'tknow the existence of a mold test kit. I will test the house. thanks

Old 05-18-06, 10:17 AM
D
You said this is in a row house...what does that mean? Is your house attached to others? Anyway, if so check with your neighbors to see if they have the same thing going on. This is just the oddest thing and instead of trying to guess what it might be I'm thinking it's time to call the exterminators, pest control, etc.

Just a though....How old are your kids? Maybe they're playing a joke on you.

I still strongly suggest you call a professional. (Only b/c I really want to know what it is!)

Old 05-18-06, 01:37 PM
Question

Originally Posted by Lindberg
This is not a joke.
hmmmm..........no one has questioned that this isn't legitimate, so why would you even mention that, after so many people have taken the time to try to help you?

or maybe this IS a joke so you can see how many hits your so-often-mentioned blog gets. ???

Old 05-18-06, 06:59 PM
T
Thank you, Annette, for opening our eyes. The very fact that the photos were posted on a blog website and the fact that alien slime is a frequent internet forum blog, indicates that we have all been taken for a ride here.

There are commercial slime products available as well as many homemade recipes for slime, gook, gack, goo, and other substances.

MODERATOR'S NOTE: Blogs are not allowed in the DoItYourself.com forums.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: