Whole house odor cleanup

Old 05-13-06, 03:49 PM
M
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Whole house odor cleanup

We are thinking about buying a home in which the owners have several cats and dogs (and a squirrel they kept in a cage in a bedroom closet). They leave behind an odor that permeates the whole house. I think the cats may have even sprayed the wood window trim. It had permeated our clothes after spending about a half hour in the house.

Even though the house and property were perfect for us, I wouldn't even consider buying it unless I knew there was a surefire way of removing the odors before we ever moved in.

It's a very large house, so it will be a big job that I couldn't tackle alone. Are there companies that specialize in this kind of odor removal? Anybody who knows anything about this, please help.

Thanks
marcy s

Old 05-15-06, 03:53 PM
T
SERVPRO at www.servpro.com specializes in odor removal.

Old 05-18-06, 03:14 PM
M
Without obtaining professional help you can rent an ozone generator. It will probably take a day for each room of the house to kill the odor. Then, if it starts to return you will be able to pinpoint the source.

Old 05-18-06, 06:14 PM
T
Before considering ozone, read the following EPA Report: http://www.epa.gov/iaq/pubs/ozonegen.html

Old 11-26-08, 02:05 PM
Received 8 Votes on 8 Posts
I will shed some light! First stay away from servpro. It has been my experience that they will do the least amount of work and charge high prices. I will say that they are each owned so it may be different were you live. Having said that you will need to remove all carpet and padding. Have HVAC system cleaned. Ozone would be the best thing for an empty home. If it was occupied Id say know way. 24 hours with a good machine should take care of any odors.

Old 11-26-08, 03:36 PM
S
Group Moderator
Received 98 Votes on 86 Posts
We replace carpet and pad in any room with severe urine damage. Less than severe and we might be able to clean the carpet but the pad always gets replaced. If the subfloor is penetrated, we seal it as well. Never had a pet problem on a wall but we have had other odors permeate walls and we have to use a sealing primer and repaint. We've never had to clean the HVAC but I can see how you might.

Old 11-26-08, 11:43 PM
T
This thread is from 2006! Hopefully odor problems were resolved.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: