Wasps up in my grill... Why?

Reply

  #1  
Old 05-19-06, 10:25 AM
Big Dan's Avatar
Member
Thread Starter
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Pierson, Michigan
Posts: 67
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Wasps up in my grill... Why?

I have a reoccurring problem with wasps setting up home in my grill. This time of year I am just getting going with the grill and have had to kill three nests already. The first one was small, so was the second. I know there is one building in there now, but I (of course) have run out of propane and therefore don't have an easy clean solution. Usually I wait until they are in there and *Floom!* up in smoke they go. My question is, why do they persistantly keep building in there? It's sooty, dark, hot, and I keep destroying their home.

Are there any good ideas on how to keep them out after the next massacre? If I put cedar chips or moth balls in a sock and left it in, would that make them not want to come back? Would that make my food taste like an old leisure suit?
 
  #2  
Old 05-19-06, 10:33 AM
S
Member
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: USA
Posts: 1,957
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Big Dan
It's sooty, dark, hot,
It's dark protected isolated heated and like a cave.I'm not sure what you could do that wouldn't burn off every time you use the grill and even with the burning I'd avoid chemicals and insecticides.

Might try covering it with something they can't get through like plastic or something.A grill cover doesn't seal enough.
 
  #3  
Old 05-20-06, 07:11 PM
W
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: USA
Posts: 3,185
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Big Dan - I get stung 5 or 6 times a year and guess what - most of them come when I open the lid to my grill.
That probably makes me stupid, but I never think about wasps until I grab the handle and - ouch! If you get an answer that won't mess with the taste of my burgers and ribs let me know.

At least every on of the sobs that stung me are now dead.
 
  #4  
Old 05-21-06, 11:51 AM
C
Member
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 92
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
I once read that they are attracted to the propane smell. While the grill may be off, there will always be residual propane smell inside.

I have a few ideas:

1-leave the lid up on the grill. So what if it gets wet? It's just lava rocks and a wire grate. Leaving the lid up may discourage them from settling inside. It's no longer dark, hot, and sheltered. Leaving the lid up may also help to vent away the residual propane odors that they are attracted too.

2-As Big Dan does--start the grill before you open the lid. Instant death for the wasps.

3-Go to the local hardware store and buy a wasp trap. The kind with the little scented cotton ball inside. Hang it on the legs of the BBQ grill. That scent should attract them inside the trap, rather than encourage them to "take up residence" inside the BBQ grill.

Personally, I prefer to fry them alive. :mask: Turn on the gas and have a nice cremation ceremony for them. Little devils.
 
  #5  
Old 05-21-06, 04:49 PM
S
Member
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: USA
Posts: 1,957
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ChrisHarris
I have a few ideas:

1-leave the lid up on the grill. So what if it gets wet? It's just lava rocks and a wire grate. Leaving the lid up may discourage them from settling inside. It's no longer dark, hot, and sheltered. Leaving the lid up may also help to vent away the residual propane odors that they are attracted too.

2-As Big Dan does--start the grill before you open the lid. Instant death for the wasps.

3-Go to the local hardware store and buy a wasp trap. The kind with the little scented cotton ball inside. Hang it on the legs of the BBQ grill. That scent should attract them inside the trap, rather than encourage them to "take up residence" inside the BBQ grill.
Depending on the exact construction of your grill leaving the lid up and exposing it to the elements can shorten the life of the grill and/or it's parts by a considerable amount.I was the principal delivery and set up man for a hardware store that sold Weber grills and I saw it all and many many grills are not just a grate and lava rock.Also many grills are constructed of materials that will rapidly rust away or to a non usable point forcing either replacing the parts assuming you can find them or the grill itself.On a non stainless interior Weber replacement parts can run up to 50 or more dollars for a complete replacement/rebuild.

A previous post mentioned that propane attracted wasps and I agree with the idea as propane also attracts squirrels to chew on the hoses etc because propane tastes sweet to them.(Always turn off your propane tank and burn off propane in the system and hoses then turn off your burners to make the hoses less attractive.)

If you are going to burn the wasps out I really don't recommend you turn on propane and light a grill with the lid down.This is like lighting a match in a gas filled house.Ever see what happens?

Wasp traps are a 50/50 proposition from the customer feedback I've heard and do you really want to put a wasp attractant in an area you don't want wasps?

I'm not trying to be a contrary but I wanted to respond to some of what had been suggested since I did have some experience in the field.
 
  #6  
Old 05-21-06, 05:34 PM
davido662002's Avatar
Member
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 19
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
re

stuff the lid with paper or an old blanket,foam etc. then they won't be able to move in.
 
  #7  
Old 05-22-06, 01:43 PM
D
Member
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Where the cows roam, CA
Posts: 2,204
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
So I've read up that if you "crush" them they give off a scent that will attract other wasps. Dunno is "crush" would be the same as "burning" them so...??? I guess the burning would burn off the scent too? Just thinking...
 
  #8  
Old 05-24-06, 03:08 PM
C
Member
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 92
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by spdavid
Depending on the exact construction of your grill leaving the lid up and exposing it to the elements can shorten the life of the grill and/or it's parts by a considerable amount.I was the principal delivery and set up man for a hardware store that sold Weber grills and I saw it all and many many grills are not just a grate and lava rock.Also many grills are constructed of materials that will rapidly rust away or to a non usable point forcing either replacing the parts assuming you can find them or the grill itself.On a non stainless interior Weber replacement parts can run up to 50 or more dollars for a complete replacement/rebuild.

A previous post mentioned that propane attracted wasps and I agree with the idea as propane also attracts squirrels to chew on the hoses etc because propane tastes sweet to them.(Always turn off your propane tank and burn off propane in the system and hoses then turn off your burners to make the hoses less attractive.)

If you are going to burn the wasps out I really don't recommend you turn on propane and light a grill with the lid down.This is like lighting a match in a gas filled house.Ever see what happens?

Wasp traps are a 50/50 proposition from the customer feedback I've heard and do you really want to put a wasp attractant in an area you don't want wasps?

I'm not trying to be a contrary but I wanted to respond to some of what had been suggested since I did have some experience in the field.
Thats the thing with online forums

There's always somebody smarter..........

You don't know what type of grill we're talking about here. All you know is it's propane. That doesn't mean it's a $500 grill with stainless parts inside. My grill is about 20yrs old. I've replaced the burner a couple times, and the grates a couple times. Big deal. $20 every 5 or 8 yrs is not going to make me quit using my grill in favor of the oven in the house during the heat of the summer.

I light my grill with the lid closed. Thats how I've been doing it for as long as I can remember. Never had an explosion.

Every scented wasp trap I've ever bought and used has produced excellent results. Dead and trapped wasps. Wasps are ALREADY a problem with the grill in this situation. Thats why the original poster started the thread. So, I don't understand why it's a bad idea to put a scented wasp trap right next to the grill. If the wasps are ALREADY there--then why not trap and kill them before they go into the grill?

Experience in the field? So, are you a pest extermination professional, or a BBQ assembler? I don't think one has anything to do with the other.
 
  #9  
Old 05-24-06, 05:24 PM
S
Member
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: USA
Posts: 1,957
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ChrisHarris
Thats the thing with online forums

There's always somebody smarter..........

You don't know what type of grill we're talking about here. All you know is it's propane. That doesn't mean it's a $500 grill with stainless parts inside. My grill is about 20yrs old. I've replaced the burner a couple times, and the grates a couple times. Big deal. $20 every 5 or 8 yrs is not going to make me quit using my grill in favor of the oven in the house during the heat of the summer.

I light my grill with the lid closed. Thats how I've been doing it for as long as I can remember. Never had an explosion.

Every scented wasp trap I've ever bought and used has produced excellent results. Dead and trapped wasps. Wasps are ALREADY a problem with the grill in this situation. Thats why the original poster started the thread. So, I don't understand why it's a bad idea to put a scented wasp trap right next to the grill. If the wasps are ALREADY there--then why not trap and kill them before they go into the grill?

Experience in the field? So, are you a pest extermination professional, or a BBQ assembler? I don't think one has anything to do with the other.
I believe I made it clear that it was a choice that was dependant on what type of grill not applicable to all.That's what "depending on" means ok? And where did I suggest you quit using your grill?

So you light a confined area full of gas? Good for you!! Depending on (don't let me confuse you here) how your grill is designed that may be fine however some grills are not open or vented enough to do this safely.

I actually sell wasp traps in a business and deal with many many customers who have bought them.I am relating what THEY have said to me.You've had good results....others have not.

Apparently I confused you by saying "in the field" I meant out there in the big wide world where I set up and deliver gas grills,haul away old gas grills,interact with the customers that bought the gas grills and guess what I sell insecticides and related products too.

If I had to make one complaint about this forum it is the lack of retail experience here.Most of the authorities are professionals in a particular field.Sometimes there is a bit too much steering towards that as well when it doesn't have to be.I work for a 7 store hardware store chain that is not a big box.Hardware stores are the crossroads of the universe where every possible situation eventually occurs,where a very wide assortment of products are sold and where every day I deal with a whole boat load of the general public and the incredible variety of what the general public is capable or incapable of.I'm the guy they come too AFTER the professionals and backyard experts have fried their brains.

So don't jump all over me and massage your ego because YOUR particular experiences aren't what mine are because I've already dealt with 50 of you and 50 of the opposite of you today.
 
  #10  
Old 05-25-06, 06:00 AM
Big Dan's Avatar
Member
Thread Starter
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Pierson, Michigan
Posts: 67
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Cool Wasps in my grill...

OK, now this posting smells of "Buck urine." I didn't ask this question to have you guys electronically duke it out.

Let's all just get along, please.


I am still looking for a good idea for connecting my filled replacement tank to my grill. I can't burn the colony out of my grill until I get some fuel back in there. When I even go out onto my deck I get scouted and harassed. I can get out there long enough to open the lid, and can probably come back to hose them with killer, but don't want to kill my family with chemicals. Does anyone have any natural wasp killers that won't harm my family?

Thanks!

Oh, and expedience is best since this is the best weekend over to BBQ.
 
  #11  
Old 07-02-06, 11:57 AM
K
Member
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 1
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Waspy Grill

Believe it or not, soapy water will kill wasps! The first time I observed this, I watched a 60+ year old woman (who couldn't run from a wasp if her life depended on it), and she trudged up to the nest located above a standard door opening, and doused the nest with a cup of soapy water. The wasps may not fall dead as a doornail, but if they are hit with the soapy water, they will crawl around on the ground for a minute or so, then fall dead. I was amazed when I asked that lady what she had in that cup, and she replied, just a few squirts of liquid dishwasher detergent and plain ole tap water! After that, I happened upon an old 'water type' fire extinguisher at garage sale. To this I add a few squirts of the 'magic mixture' and add air pressure from my shop air compressor. Using this 'wasp extinguisher', I can easily squirt the little demons, even high in the eaves of the house. It's a heck of alot cheaper than the store bought wasp killer, plus you can spray it without the mess or smell. Doesn't matter how you manage to get the soapy water on the wasps though, just so you get them soaked. As far as using this on wasps inside your grill, it would work if you can manage to open the grill, thus exposing them for the 'drenching', without getting stung first.
 
  #12  
Old 07-05-06, 06:37 AM
Big Dan's Avatar
Member
Thread Starter
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Pierson, Michigan
Posts: 67
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up July 5, 2006

Wasps are gone. Have actually been gone for a few weeks now. What I did was sneak out at dusk with my wife on shotgun. We had a pair of Raid Spray cans and were ready to chemical weapon their sorry @$$es if we needed. I was able to change my tank without them coming out to zap me. After returning the tank to the proper position, I ushered the wife back in the house and I gassed and ignited the grill. With a woosh, it was all but over. Only one was able to make it out alive and my wife took it upon herself to hit him with her best shot straight through the screen of the patio door. So, there were no survivors. After about 30 seconds I opened the lid to look inside. The hive was huge! It filled the inner cavity of my lid and there were what looked like 1000 dead wasps burning away in the coals. I let the burn go on for about 30 minutes on high and when i returned there was no proff that they had moved into my neighborhood.

So, aside from being brave/stupid, there wasn't much else that I did. Good luck to anyone else in that predicament.

By the way.... Now, I turn off the tank with the fire still burning and let all of the propane burn out of the lines before shutting the grill gauges off. So far it's been close to a month and not a single wasp present.
 
 

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
 
Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: