Mites!

Old 06-02-06, 03:28 PM
A
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Mites!

Hello everyone. I have been searching the internet looking for help with a problem with mites at my home, and this forum looks trustworthy.
I believe that I may have a Bird Mite problem. At first, I found little crawling black specks on the walls and windowsill, and they kept coming. I did A LOT of research, and the description that matched them in an online insect indentification is that they are mites (being under 1mm and all...).
Next, I had to wonder what type of mites they were. I have noticed Pidgeons living on the roof above my bedroom for quite a long while now. They keep making noises but we left them there. This suggests that I have a Bird Mite problem.
I am living in the Toronto area of Canada, and it is late spring right now, almost summer (the time when birds leave their nest...?).
My problem is, through my research I have been getting the same general information, such as how small they are, how they come from birds, etc. But through my reserach, I have also been getting different information about them.

Some sites say that an insecticide spray on all cracks and crevices will provide immediate relief (I would hope so...), yet other sites say that this situation must be handled by fogging the whole house with an insecticide mist every week for a month!

Some say that if they're gone, they're gone. But some say that there are tens of thousands of them, and they each lay tens of thousands of eggs, which hatch every few days to infest the place even more!

I also read somewhere that if the mites do not get a proper meal from their original host in a week or so, they would die. Even if this is true, it is still not good news to me, because the Pidgeon(s) keeps coming back to visit my rooftop very often..

I live in a weird bedroom, which looks like a tower-ish structure from the outside, with a whopping 4 large windows, with pidgeons nesting right above me and all their feces around the roof tiles. Each windowsill has cracks, and I have firmly sealed them with clear tape, so over the last few days, a lot of them have gotten themselves stuck to the tape when attempting entry. When their entry from the windowsill has been blocked, they started appearing on the other side of the room (by my bed) ...could they be crawling up from the carpet?

So basically, I really need clarification on the real information about Bird Mites OTHER than the stuff I get from google.
How often do they lay eggs?
Are their newborns visible when they hatch?
Can they crawl out of the carpet?
Should I hire an exterminator? Or handle it myself?

Thanks in advance for any tips or advice you can give me.

Old 06-02-06, 03:51 PM
This is one of those questions that is hard to answer without seeing what you are dealing with. Could you post a picture of these things? (Most members use Photobucket to do this and it's free) Otherwise, I would suggest calling in the pro's as there is too much room for error. Good luck.

Old 06-02-06, 04:02 PM
A
Thanks for the quick reply. I will try to get a picture of it on photobucket. But, what I am basically asking for is confirmed information about Bird Mites. Knowing that they are bird mites already, is it possible to answer those questions without a picture?

Old 06-03-06, 04:15 PM
D
Question

Hi

This is the problem i had and the reply i got from an entomologyst

spray with a insect spray that leaves a residue and around the area getting in and wash areas like windows with bleach solution and an exteriour insecticide like Dethlac you can get on E Bay last for s couple of months

Do they stop after the birds have gone mine have eased up after10 days

got them in a out house now but not sure if they are not spiderlings as they often look like mite when hatched

You can e mail me here in UK if you like and give support as it freaks me out big time also

hope this helps

------------------------------------------------------------
This morning I have discovered in the bathroom in a corner and a drop corner of the ceiling and along the bath top below the corners a very small mite looking round is like a speak of grit dark Brown ones and white ones cannot see detail as very small the are quite a few and have cleaned the area by removing the coving in the corners and wiping down with neat bleach on a damp cloth and then after drying sprayed with raid ant and cockroach spray that leaves a residue for a few weeks

I know that the has been a birds nest above near that area as we have heard the babies chirping when being fed I presume they have now fledged and gone has not heard since

The nest cannot be got at as in a part of the roof that juts out and you would need to be 5 years old to get in there to even look so I have contacted the council to come and fill the hole from outside with that expandable foam stuff

1 are these more and likely to have come from the nest

2 will the methods I am using kill them and keep them away

3 Are these of danger to me or my family and how long will they live before dying without the birds to live on if that is what they are?

3 what else do you recommend

Thank you in advance
Regards
David Boulton

Raid should work OK (although if mites, some are fairly resistant to the insecticides avialable for amateur household use - repeated applications may be required at 3-4 week intervals).

Life span will depend on species - in this case unknown - but probably no more than a few weeks.

Old 06-04-06, 11:33 AM
It seems the evidence does lead to Bird Mites. Getting rid of the nesting birds would be very important. After getting rid of the nests, spraying the area with a miticide (even spraying the next before handling, and wear gloves) will kill whatever is there. Treating the window edges and interior perimeter of your room will help as well. One thing to know is, if the host birds leave the nest, or is taken away, you will get a surge into the home and they can infest things like bedding...
Their life cycle is about 7 days so they have to reproduce very quickly. They can be found in areas like carpetting and bedding but unless they find a suitable host again they won't survive in these areas for more than 3-4 weeks.

Again, getting rid of the birds is very important. Giving more info on the layout would help as far as what to do for the birds. What we're looking for is making the current roosting area inhospitable for them so they won't come back year after year to nest.

Old 06-05-06, 02:34 PM
A
I am not sure where the birds are nesting, but they just keep making noises on the roof, yet are not visible from the outside.

Also, here are a few questions that have occured to me, and I was wondering if anybody may know the answer.

1) The bird mites have moved into the bedroom to live, and I know that they will not survive long without a meal from their original host. But the thing is, the birds still come to the nest on the roof every so often, which provides a host for them. Could the mites be moving in and out, getting a blood meal from the bird, and coming back in to the room?

2) Are bird mites an immediate danger to myself and my family? To what extent is their harm?

3)This is probably the most important question. If, say one (or a few) mites sneak their way onto my clothes, and I go downstairs for a while, and the mites decide to get off. Is it possible for them to reproduce where they get off, and make their invasion full-scale? I suppose they will not live long down in my living room since there's no bird host...but still, can I get clarification on this? Thanks.

Old 06-10-06, 07:58 PM
A
Hi, sorry for the double-post, but does anyone know the answer to my previous questions there? Again, sorry for the double-post and such persistance, but this is something that I need the answer to, since I don't trust random internet research sites that much in terms of facts.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: